Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FoxtrotAgent

On-Premise Gateway Setup in Production Server for a new database data source

Heya folks,

I need to setup a new gateway connection to an existing on-premise server but a new database. There's an existing service account being used to connect to the same on-premise server. 

What must I do to set this up? I'd imagine I may need to expand the scope of access of the existing service account to include that database? I'd love your step-by-step guidance on how to best do this.

3 REPLIES 3
edhans
Super User
Super User

You don't do anything to the on prem gateway. You just add a new datasource to the gateway in the service. See Add or remove a gateway data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

I am not sure what you are using a service account for unless it is to log into the database, but in a gateway that isn't necessary. It isn't bad, but it isn't necessary. Only gateway admins have access to the login credentials and it is seamlessly passed through to users that you grant access to the connection, but they never see the credentials, and they never expire, unless you disable them in your database or active directory.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Hey the Service Account is simply used to login to the database. Ok so does that mean, the process only involves adding the scope of access to the service account to have the appropriate access to the database?

No. Permissions of any account to not propogate to the gateway and automatically grant access to that thing. You must set up a source by server and database in the gateway. You can read more about it here. Yes, permission are required, but you still have to add the new database as a source in the gateway.

Tutorial: Connect to on-premises data in SQL Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors