Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgaynor
Helper I
Helper I

On-Premise Data Gateway and Access Databases

Hello,

Can the On-Premise Data Gateway connect to an Access Database.  It's marked as 'Yes' in the Power BI data sources list (link below) but it is not listed in the Data Source Type list on the Gateway.   The below link also mentions that it is  'Supported with the ACE OLEDB provider, installed on the same machine as the gateway' but doesn't offer any other detail or info.  Is there any official documentation about setting up this connection.  I've seen various workaround around ideas but I'd rather have an official yes/no and how-to.

Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mgaynor 

If you're connecting to an Access database from Power Query Online, the system that contains the on-premises data gateway must have the 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 OLEDB provider installed.

If you're loading an Access database to Power BI Desktop, the versions of the Access Database Engine 2010 OLEDB provider and Power BI Desktop on that machine must match (that is, either 32-bit or 64-bit).

This is the relevant document, hope to help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-query/connectors/accessdatabase#import-access-database-to-power-bi-... 

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-access-database-errors 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mgaynor 

If you're connecting to an Access database from Power Query Online, the system that contains the on-premises data gateway must have the 64-bit version of the Access Database Engine 2010 OLEDB provider installed.

If you're loading an Access database to Power BI Desktop, the versions of the Access Database Engine 2010 OLEDB provider and Power BI Desktop on that machine must match (that is, either 32-bit or 64-bit).

This is the relevant document, hope to help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-query/connectors/accessdatabase#import-access-database-to-power-bi-... 

https://docs.microsoft.com/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-access-database-errors 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mgaynor
Helper I
Helper I

Thanks.  I suspected they'd be moving away from it too, if it was supported at all, but the messages are mixed or just incorrect.  I'd rather not worry about Access but this is a one-off situation where my org was wanting it.  

edhans
Super User
Super User

It used to be it only worked with the Personal Gateway, not the Enterprise Gateway. I see the doc you linked to doesn't have that distinction, but I am wondering if it is wrong and should be updated. I do not recall MS announcing support for MS Access in the Enterprise Gateway. They seem to be depreciating usage scenarios for Access, not increasing them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors