Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ez1138
Frequent Visitor

Non-Azure SQL Server Connection Error

Hi, for a non-Azure SQL Server DB I'm having trouble connecting after I publish it from the PowerBI Desktop.  Fine on the desktop side, not so much online.  I'm the global admin so I didn't think there was a rights issue.  I guess there is.

Follow-up, is there a way to connect to a non-Azure SQL Server DB online to start?  I didn't see an option for that.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

powerbi1.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ez1138 ,

Whether the problem has been resolved? If yes, could you please mark the helpful post as Answered? It will help other members in the community find the solution easily if they face the similar problem with you. Thank you.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ez1138 ,

Which data source are you connecting to? SQL Server or other data source? Are the account credentials and privacy level used in Power BI Service and Power BI Desktop the same?

In addition, you can review the following threads similar to your problem to check if their solutions can also help you solve your problem.

Report couldn't access data source in Direct Query mode

the report couldn't access the data source because user has left the organization

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You mean a regular SQL Server connector? That should work just fine, regardless if on-prem or online (assuming your firewall ports etc etc.)

Did you confirm that both the connection string and the authentication method match between the desktop and the gateway?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors