Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

testyuiiop
Helper I
Helper I

Need help

Hi ,
I would like to know if there is anyway to way to block the following for users in the service?

1.Block paginated reports from being created. 

2.Block subscriptions to dashboards. 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. You can't block that specific. You could change some settings to prevent things, let's see.

1. Paginated reports are only premium or PPU license features. So if the user is pro and doesn't have access to a premium workspace with build permission, they won't be able to work with paginated reports.

2. Regarding subscriptions it can't be changed for only dashboards, it's a feature that can be cancelled for all subscriptions type for a group of people at the Tenant Settings:

ibarrau_0-1711461130566.png

The first one would be the case of a subscription a person can configure for themselves. The other settings are for guests or sending to other people.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

My bad. Sorry. Yes the first setting can only be applied for the whole organization and not like the others that can be delimited by security groups.

It's no blocking but, another way would be using a third party tool for embedding PowerBi reports. That way the user will only see reports (in a secure way with login, filter or RLS) and nothing else. No subscription or any other feature. Of course, you can develop your own custom app, the prerequisite is having a Dedicated Capacity (power bi embedded, premium per capacity or Fabric). An example of a tool would be www.pibi.cloud

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

1. Yes

2. If the user doesn't have pro or premium and it's in the workspace. The only role available for them is Viewer. You can't have a free user as member. Viewers don't have build permission, so they can't publish/import Paginated Reports to the workspace.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

8 REPLIES 8
testyuiiop
Helper I
Helper I

@ibarrau 

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. You can't block that specific. You could change some settings to prevent things, let's see.

1. Paginated reports are only premium or PPU license features. So if the user is pro and doesn't have access to a premium workspace with build permission, they won't be able to work with paginated reports.

2. Regarding subscriptions it can't be changed for only dashboards, it's a feature that can be cancelled for all subscriptions type for a group of people at the Tenant Settings:

ibarrau_0-1711461130566.png

The first one would be the case of a subscription a person can configure for themselves. The other settings are for guests or sending to other people.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks you so much it was helpful. 

testyuiiop_0-1711468582214.png

This setting will be applicable at the tenant level. I don't see any option to add any specific group of people. Any other way to block it at user or group level based on workpsace permissions?

My bad. Sorry. Yes the first setting can only be applied for the whole organization and not like the others that can be delimited by security groups.

It's no blocking but, another way would be using a third party tool for embedding PowerBi reports. That way the user will only see reports (in a secure way with login, filter or RLS) and nothing else. No subscription or any other feature. Of course, you can develop your own custom app, the prerequisite is having a Dedicated Capacity (power bi embedded, premium per capacity or Fabric). An example of a tool would be www.pibi.cloud

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you so much.
I wanted to clarify few more things on paginated reports as I don't have required licence so I'm not able to test it from end.

1.Pro user with access to a premium workspace with build permission (member & contributor) can create paginated reports - YES
2.Users with access to premium workspaces as member or contributor permission can create paginated report(no pro or ppu licence assigned to user) ? YES OR NO

1. Yes

2. If the user doesn't have pro or premium and it's in the workspace. The only role available for them is Viewer. You can't have a free user as member. Viewers don't have build permission, so they can't publish/import Paginated Reports to the workspace.

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

testyuiiop
Helper I
Helper I

@ibarrau  @ibendlin @GilbertQ

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors