Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

jervt
Frequent Visitor

Mysterious type conversion error when trying to refresh in PBI service

A dataset won't refresh on account of a type conversion error which isn't present on refresh within Desktop. No information is given within the error other than which table it is occurring in. This table has multiple appends so I checked to see if there were any possible datatype issues there. I narrowed it down to a particular append, but cannot find where the issue lies. This included trying to fix any possible issues in the date fields - which are formatted exactly the same and continue to throw the error even when converted to a text type prior to being appended. All other appends execute and refresh successfully.

3 REPLIES 3
jervt
Frequent Visitor

Managed to get a ticket up (which was itself a bit of a process given that the GD ticket submit button was broken the first time I tried 😠), so we'll see what happens. I'll let you know if anything worthwhile comes out of the process.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

We saw the same and raised a ticket. All we got was a shrug. The issue is aggravated by the fact that the error message conveniently forgets to mention which column caused the error.

You can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues . If you have a Pro license you can consider raising a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi

Got an update. I may have FINALLY seen some progress here after meeting with Microsoft support several times a week for nearly 2 months. It's been escalated to the dev team (or at least so I'm told) and they're expected to roll out a fix within the next two update cycles, so... fingers crossed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors