Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ryan_b_fiting
Post Patron
Post Patron

MySQL Cloud Connection - Will not validate my credentials to schedule refresh

Hello Community - 

I am in urgent need of some help connecting my MySQL database to Power BI service to set up a schedule refresh.  The database connects just fine when I am in Power BI desktop, but when I go to the service, it will not take my credentials.

I have 2 sources of data in my report, Sharepoint and MySQL Cloud Databased hosted on Azure.  When I got into my dataset in my workspace it asks for the credentials for my datasources and I have no problems logging into my Sharepoint sources.  Then when I go to put in the credentials for the MySQL db, it takes the credentials, but then just spins and spins and spins.  No errors, nothing saying a connection is being made or anything.

Is there something that I need to do in order to get this to work for MySQL.  I have never had this issue with connecting to MySQL before, so any help, insights, troubleshooting ideas would be great!  

Thanks for any advice!

Ryan F

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There is a difference between "cloud"  and "cloud that is directly visible to Azure Service Bus".  Your cloud may or may not be considered to be "on premise"  by Azure and therefore may or may not require a gateway. Either a standard gateway or a Vnet gateway.  In the latter scenario you are at the mercy of Azure and have to hope that their VNet gateway uses the non-broken MySQL driver.

Keep in mind that MySQL is owned by Oracle.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Your gateway cluster members must run a MySQL driver below 8.0.29 .  29 and 30 have a bug that prevents Power BI from talking to the MySQL db.

Hi @lbendlin I do not see anything below 8.0.30 on the mySQL page.  Can you provide any guidence to this?  Once I use the lower connector, I should be all set, and will not have to set up an actual On Prem Gateway correct?

Thanks
Ryan

You can find 8.0.28 on the interwebs. MySQL :: Download MySQL Connector/NET (Archived Versions)

You DO need a gateway and you DO need to install this on ALL gateway cluster members

Ok, not the answer I was hoping for.  What is the reason that a gateway is needed if this is a database is hosted on cloud?  I thought the big benefit to having cloud datasets would be to avoid the need for the gateway?

There is a difference between "cloud"  and "cloud that is directly visible to Azure Service Bus".  Your cloud may or may not be considered to be "on premise"  by Azure and therefore may or may not require a gateway. Either a standard gateway or a Vnet gateway.  In the latter scenario you are at the mercy of Azure and have to hope that their VNet gateway uses the non-broken MySQL driver.

Keep in mind that MySQL is owned by Oracle.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors