Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

venkatasuresh_g
Helper III
Helper III

Moving Semantic model from one workspace to other workspace

Hello 

I have successfully configured deployment pipelines in Fabric. However, there is a limitation in terms of the number of items that can be moved from one workspace to another. Therefore, I moved lake houses, pipelines, and notebooks to a new workspace.

My problem is related to reports. While I can save a report into another workspace using "save as", I am unable to move the semantic model to the new workspace. The semantic model is still pointing to the DEV workspace, which is causing issues with the production report.

Could you please suggest a way to move the semantic model to another workspace so that the production report does not use the semantic model from the DEV workspace?

Thank you.

Suresh Guddanti

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @venkatasuresh_g ,

I apologize for some ambiguity in my answer, you can refer to the following screenshot.

First download the .pbix file in your initial workspace.

vzhouwenmsft_0-1714444900708.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1714444912275.png

Upload the .pbix file to the target workspace.( Getdata > File > Local file)

vzhouwenmsft_2-1714445004387.png

vzhouwenmsft_3-1714445013966.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
venkatasuresh_g
Helper III
Helper III

Hi 

I used ALM Tool kit to move semantic model from one workspace to other , to find that even after moving the semantic model is pointing to DEV workspace . I am not able to figure out how to move a semantic model from one workspace to other. IU have many measures and joins which I don't want to recreate in UAT or PRD workspace . Any help is appriciated

Also to previous question , when I try to open pbix in desktop I get message on one table as shown below

venkatasuresh_g_0-1715280523184.png

venkatasuresh_g
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @v-zhouwen-msft 

Thanks for the clarification, I did not notice the upload option until you pointed it out. I did not notice that before, not sure when this was added. This is what I need. 

Thanks for your guidence. 

Suresh 

v-zhouwen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @venkatasuresh_g ,

Regarding your question, if you have the report .pbix file, you just need to republish it to the target workspace. If you don't have a .pbix file, just go to the report in the initial workspace. File > Download the report (.pbix copy) from the Power bi service to your desktop. Then go to the target workspace and Get Data > File > Local File > Open the downloaded file to publish the report and dataset to the target workspace.

Hi @v-zhouwen-msft 

Thanks for your response , I have downloaded PBIX file with data option but when I tried to open same in my desktop I was getting an error "Unable to open pbix file. Partition 'name' of table 'name' may not operate in Direct Lake." on one of the table. and in the above suggestion when you said Go to target workspace and Getdata > File > Local file , are you referring to workspace in service as I don't think we have Getdata option 

in workspace unless I am missing something . Are you referring to desktop?

Thanks

Suresh Guddanti

Hi @venkatasuresh_g ,

I apologize for some ambiguity in my answer, you can refer to the following screenshot.

First download the .pbix file in your initial workspace.

vzhouwenmsft_0-1714444900708.png

vzhouwenmsft_1-1714444912275.png

Upload the .pbix file to the target workspace.( Getdata > File > Local file)

vzhouwenmsft_2-1714445004387.png

vzhouwenmsft_3-1714445013966.png

Hi @v-zhouwen-msft 

When I uploaded PBIX file semantic model that got uploaded still pointing to DEV workspace , I was not able to open pbix in designer to update the connection as Inwas getting a partion error on one of the table . Do I need to create new semantic model in UAT workspace ? 

is there anything I need to do differently

thanks

Suresh

Hi @venkatasuresh_g ,

I'm not experiencing the partition error at the moment, does this error occur for all files, or for individual files? If the steps to create a new semantic model are not too complicated, you could try.

@v-zhouwen-msft   

Finally I was able to get the intended result, using ALM toolkit by skipping the database connection parameter.  I guess I am good. 

Thanks for all your help 

Suresh 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors