Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

FloSeur

Misunderstanding of dataset refresh fail with embedded capacity

Hi,

I read a lot of threads on the forum trying to understand why my semantic model is not refreshing, enhance it and managed to reduce the size by ~40%, from 1.45Go to 824Mo (maybe he wasn't optimized after all). But the refresh keeps failing with the given error:

Capture d'écran 2024-05-20 164743.png

I'm currently using a PowerBi embedded A2 capacity, meaning (if I'm understanding capacity specifications) taht I have 5Go of RAM. I'm aware that memory usage is generally twice the dataset memory footprint while refreshing and that report usage can have impact on memory usage, still, behaviour is the same in the middle of the night or the day.

I'm trying to understand how a semantic model of 824Mo can consume 5Go of capacity memory ?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

As per my understanding storage and memory are two different components.And the memory utilisation depends on your transformations.Ex- if you have grouping or merge operations the memory utilisation will be high.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SaiTejaTalasila
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi,

As per my understanding storage and memory are two different components.And the memory utilisation depends on your transformations.Ex- if you have grouping or merge operations the memory utilisation will be high.

Hi @SaiTejaTalasila , thank you for your response, it help me found the problem.

A lot of complex transformations are done in my analytic DB using dbt except one where I unpivot column on a table containing ~7M rows. I think this is the one causing the refresh failure.

Thank you again ! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors