Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Taz_Car
Frequent Visitor

Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries

Hi,

I have a reasonably large report that is failing to refresh regularly.  However I am still able to refresh the desktop app.

From my reading, it seems that the likely cause is some Dax I am using to create a table.  Is there any way to verify which step is using all the memory before I start redesigning the report?

Thanks for any help

that has started failing to refresh regeruly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Taz_Car
Frequent Visitor

Hi, this did fix the memory issue, but slowed things down to unusable level on the refresh.  I upgraged the work space and it sorted the issue out

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Marchela
Frequent Visitor

Hi, how did your issue get resolved? I have a case with a  Power BI report which is successfully refreshed in Power BI Desktop by one developer but another developer gets the same Memory error (Memory Allocation failure).

All sources are Excel files, one of which is 300 000 KB. Could it be related to personal hardware memory limitations, as it doesn't make sense to work for one, but not  for the other. Thank you!

Hi, yes, in my case, everything works fine on my laptop which has a solid spec, however on others, it was failing. So you probably need to check the amount of RAM available on the different machines. The specific issue I had was I needed to upgrade to premium per user, so there was more processing power available.

Thank you for the advice, @Taz_Car !

Taz_Car
Frequent Visitor

Hi, this did fix the memory issue, but slowed things down to unusable level on the refresh.  I upgraged the work space and it sorted the issue out

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Taz_Car 

What I would suggest doing, is to create the table in Power Query, this will mean that the table will not need to be created using the memory but it will be part of the import process. 

By using Power Query the table will also be made a lot smaller due to being compressed on the way from Power Query to the Power BI dataset.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks, I will try and let you know if it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors