Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Muriel_A
Regular Visitor

Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries.

Hello,

I can't update my data on PBI service. It works on Desktop (about 9mn). I have a data set of 1 million rows. I already have simplify my queries (rows and columns deleted). Do you have an idea to fix my problem ?

Erreur de source de données: Memory error: Memory Allocation failure . Try simplifying or reducing the number of queries.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Muriel_A  ,

The memory needs to be twice the data set, which means that the 124 data set requires 248 RAM capacity to refresh. Perhaps your capacity allocated to you is not enough RAM to refresh this doubled data set, resulting in insufficient memory.

You can upgrade it to Premium or PPU, use larger capacity and RAM, or change its connection mode to Direct Query.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Muriel_A  ,

The memory needs to be twice the data set, which means that the 124 data set requires 248 RAM capacity to refresh. Perhaps your capacity allocated to you is not enough RAM to refresh this doubled data set, resulting in insufficient memory.

You can upgrade it to Premium or PPU, use larger capacity and RAM, or change its connection mode to Direct Query.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Muriel_A  ,

The data set stored in the pbix file is highly compressed. When it’s refreshing in Power BI service, I think I will occupy more memory space, which can possibly lead to this error.

You can try these measures:

1. Upgrade your workspace to Premium Capacity, which supports the bigger size of dataset refreshing. The Power BI Premium per user has been available till now, you can try to start a trial for free and open the premium capacity for your workspace.

v-yangliu-msft_0-1617868465476.png

2. Stagger the refresh time, try to refresh large datasets in free time, which can ensure sufficient memory space, and higher refresh efficiency.

3. Does your gateway run on the same computer? Can you guarantee the stability of the network and sufficient computer memory on the gateway computer? They are also very important. 

The memory allocation problem may be solved under the premium capacity(dedicated resources and larger RAM).

More info about how to start PPU in Power BI

What’s more, the incremental refresh in Power BI can also be a good choice to avoid memory problems, which is available to Pro users. You can try if it’s possible

More info about incremental refresh in Power BI

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

Muriel_A
Regular Visitor

Hi @selimovd 

Thanks for the help.

It is a SQL database and I made some changes : all my queries have now 'view native query' on the last step. But it still doesn't work.

Muriel

Hello @Muriel_A ,

do you get an error message?

Do you use a gateway?

One Million rows should be easily done by a relational database.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hello @selimovd , @v-yangliu-msft 

Yes, I till have the same error message (memory error).

I use 124 Mb / 10 Gb on my workspace, and I tried to refresh at different times, still have the same error message.

I use a gateway, but everything seems to be ok (it works with another PBI project).

It works with this method : I create my facts table in SQL Server (with all filters and transformation ...). In PBI, I load my data with a simple select * instead of a "big" query. And it works. But I think it should work with the first query....

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Muriel_A ,

what is your data source?

Try to use a relational database and check if query folding is working (does the last step show "view native query"):
Query folding | Microsoft Docs

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors