Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CarlaTP
Frequent Visitor

Measures not updating in the morning

This issue only happens on the Service version of my report, the app version works fine. It also appears to only be an issue in the morning.

Our report is based on what day of the week it is today, including a measure to say what day it is today (lets say its Wednesday), and other measures that show data from previous Wednesdays.

The dataset is scheduled to update through a gateway on my (always on) server at 7am, 8am, 10am, 12pm, etc..

At 8.30am my colleague starts work. All the info in the report will be from yesterday (It still says Tuesday). I don't start work until 12.30pm, so I can't troubleshoot it myself, and my colleague isn't tech savy, but I've got her doing things to try and make it work, with nothing helping.

Things we've tried:

• Our computer (not the server) is off on the weekend, it's still a problem Monday morning
  • I've closed the browser tab at the end of the day, its still an issue in the morning
  • My colleague has tried refreshing the whole webpage
  • She's tried refreshing the visuals
  • Tried Reset to Default
  • Tried manually refreshing the dataset (which completes successfully, as do all the scheduled refreshes)

After a few attempts to refresh things, generally it changes from yesterday to blank.

Eventually she gives up and opens the app version, which works fine. When I start work at 12.30 we try again on the Service and it fixes immediately with refreshing the visuals.

Any suggestions on what is going wrong or things to try?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @CarlaTP 

If your Dataset and Report are published to the Power BI service, this may be because the Service clocks run to UTC, not your local time. So, depending where you are in the world the Date and Time got from the Server will be different from local. In your case it appears that you are maybe 7 hours behind UTC, so possible on the west coast of the USA ? So if you are using the DAX TODAY() or NOW() functions in your measure you will need to adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @CarlaTP 

If your Dataset and Report are published to the Power BI service, this may be because the Service clocks run to UTC, not your local time. So, depending where you are in the world the Date and Time got from the Server will be different from local. In your case it appears that you are maybe 7 hours behind UTC, so possible on the west coast of the USA ? So if you are using the DAX TODAY() or NOW() functions in your measure you will need to adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps

Stuart

I was worried that might be the case. We did think it was working properly about 11am our time, which is midnight UTC. I've just gotten it to print NOW() and you are definiately correct.

If I go to About Power BI in the servce help menu, it does tell me the correct time and that the data is stored in Australia East (where I am).

This seems like a pretty bad bug (or design choice) to not use the the user's local time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors