Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ilanas
Frequent Visitor

Measures in dataflows

Hello, 

I'm creating a dataflow in Power BI service.

Once I have the dataflow, I would be interested in being able to create measures within the dataflow that when connecting a power BI desktop with these flows, I would like the measures aqlready created. Is there any possibility for this?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Afraid data flows won't do that for you.

What you want to do is consume the data flow and publish a dataset which contains all measures and business logic. This can then be used by other reports.

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ilanas
Frequent Visitor

But dataset is hidden to Power BI desktop, no? Only is for power Bi service

No if you click Get Data in power bi and then dataset, you can connect to any power bi dataset you have access to.

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Have a watch of 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OH6aekIjcUI

In short you can build a report in power bi desktop that just has the data and measures etc. If you publish that to the service you can delete the "report" bit leaving just the dataset. 

That dataset is then available to consume in power bi desktop.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Afraid data flows won't do that for you.

What you want to do is consume the data flow and publish a dataset which contains all measures and business logic. This can then be used by other reports.

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

This sums it up well:

https://radacad.com/dataflow-vs-dataset-what-are-the-differences-of-these-two-power-bi-components

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors