Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

globalmc
Helper I
Helper I

Large dataset support

may I know if the Large dataset support is activate at powerbi tenant level ? or at workspace level ?

Suppose there is an organization which has user at multiple region , say for example APAC and US , 

A user in APAC create a dataset and a report reading the dataset , where these dataset store ?

if the user from APAC share the report to user in US , the user in US open the report , will there be performance issue ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @globalmc ,

The storage location of datasets on Power BI Service has nothing to do with the geographic location of Power BI Desktop. What you see on the Service home page is your tenant region, and the datasets are stored in this tenant (also called the home region) when Multi-Geo is disabled. 

image.png

When Multi-Geo is enabled, you can migrate workspaces from one region to another through the dropdown on the workspace settings screen.
If you select another region, then the data in this workspace will be stored in the selected region, but the metadata for the datasets (such as report structure) will still be stored in the tenant's home region. 

image.png

For more detailed information on data storage, please refer to:

Configure Multi-Geo support for Power BI Premium 

Multiple geographies (multi-geo) 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @globalmc 

Large Dataset Support is set at a Workspace level. In the workspace settings...

Burningsuit_0-1642173580827.png

This sets the default, you can however manage Large Dataset Support at a Dataset level in the Dataset Settings..

Burningsuit_1-1642173666971.png

You can find out where a Dataset and Report are stored by default, by looking at the "Help", "About" dialog.

Burningsuit_2-1642174011761.png

This may have an impact if people are viewing or using the Dataset from outside that location (It depends on the size of the Dataset and the frequency of access.)

If you have premium capacity you can move Datasets between  locations.

see : Multi-Geo support for Power BI Premium - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hope this helps

Stuart

thanks for your information , is it possible to share dataset from one region to another ? or copy the whole dataset to another region ?
the dataset location is control by where the dataset is publish from the power bi desktop ? or following the location of the workspace ?

I think it's set by the tenant default:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-where-is-my-tenant-located

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

which means the dataset / workspace location is default by the power bi tanent ?

if the tanent is in APAC , some body in America in the same tanent publish a dataset using power bi desktop , it's still store in APAC?

Hi @globalmc ,

The storage location of datasets on Power BI Service has nothing to do with the geographic location of Power BI Desktop. What you see on the Service home page is your tenant region, and the datasets are stored in this tenant (also called the home region) when Multi-Geo is disabled. 

image.png

When Multi-Geo is enabled, you can migrate workspaces from one region to another through the dropdown on the workspace settings screen.
If you select another region, then the data in this workspace will be stored in the selected region, but the metadata for the datasets (such as report structure) will still be stored in the tenant's home region. 

image.png

For more detailed information on data storage, please refer to:

Configure Multi-Geo support for Power BI Premium 

Multiple geographies (multi-geo) 

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors