Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

marc_agi
Regular Visitor

Issue gateway: using windows credentials

Hi,

I've set-up the gateway (standard mode) with my work e-mail address.

I connected to a mysql db and it worked perfectly, so that's all good.

however, if i try to connect to local files using (my personal, not my work account) windows credentials i get the following error message;

Invalid credentials. (Session ID: 10981628-6519-476b-80c3-6388c125ffd6)

apparently i am not using the correct credentials but I already tried every combination i could think of.

for username I believe it should be either

1. the e-mail address of the microsoft account i'm logging into my machine with.

OR

2. the username retrieved from the cmd line using the 'whoami' command.

I tried both, also in combination with each other but so far no success.

for password I use the password for my MS account, I tried the pin code for my machine access but that doesnt work either.

any suggestions?

I hope you can help me.

regards,

marc

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

This is beacuse you loacal account would not work with Work domain.

Solution 1 - I would suggest to put your files to One Drive or SharePoint Folder and use it from there

Solution 2- you can put it inside organozation system and use organizaion windows account

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

For 1.2 - Refer Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs for geting that done

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution and give it a thumbs up

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @marc_agi 

Another alternative is to make sure that the domain account has access to the files you want to read from.

You can also do this by creating a share where the folders/files are stored and then grant the same domain account access to that share to read the files?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thnx for ur reply.

with domain account you mean my personal account for my machine or my work account which I used to set up the gateway?

just to elaborate a bit more on the situation.

I'm trying to connect to files/folders from Onedrive for Business (work account) via my local machine using the file/folder paths.

my personal account is already granted access to this Ondedrive (Acces granted 'Owner').

arvindsingh802
Super User
Super User

This is beacuse you loacal account would not work with Work domain.

Solution 1 - I would suggest to put your files to One Drive or SharePoint Folder and use it from there

Solution 2- you can put it inside organozation system and use organizaion windows account

Thanks for ur reply.

Solution 1.

1.1: so to get things clear

i'm using my work account for power bi.

I need to use the same account (thus my work account) for setting up the gateway. (At least, this is how i've been explained.)

If I then try to connect to local files on my machine, where i use my personal account, the registered work account in the gateway conflicts with my personal account on my machine?.

1.2: Regarding Onedrive

I have the files located on Onedrive for Business (work account).

When I try to connect to them I use the file/folder path (from my local machine) and this takes me to my initial issue; can't connect due to credentials.

Is there a different way to connect to files/folders from OneDrive for Business?

1.3: Sharepoint works, so thnx for the suggestion 🙂

solution 2.

indeed would be the most straightforward solution i guess. But no option for me so far as i'm using my personal machine.

regards,

marc

For 1.2 - Refer Use OneDrive for Business links in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs for geting that done

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors