Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PBISupport
Regular Visitor

Is report refresh scheduled on Power BI Service fail-safe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

Okay, I understand your question now. This depends on the type of refresh you are doing, but generally speaking the refresh operation is transactional so if there is a failure the previous state is retained, as tou said like there wasn't any refresh in the first place.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PBISupport
Regular Visitor

I mean I could test this out myself but would like to know what the official intent of the service is if anyone knows or if MSFT Power BI developer could chime in.

Hi,

Okay, I understand your question now. This depends on the type of refresh you are doing, but generally speaking the refresh operation is transactional so if there is a failure the previous state is retained, as tou said like there wasn't any refresh in the first place.

ValtteriN
Super User
Super User

Hi,

No, there is a retry amount cap:

"If a scheduled refresh fails four times in a row, Power BI disables the refresh. Address the underlying problem, and then re-enable the scheduled refresh."

Meaning that if your data refresh fails four times (e.g. due to crendentials expiring) you need to setup the refresh again.

I hope this post helps to solve your issue and if it does consider accepting it as a solution and giving the post a thumbs up!

My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/n%C3%A4ttiahov-00001/

Thanks. By fail-safe I mean the traditional definition in coding. Some also use the term atomic interchangeably. All jargons aside, I mean if the dataset failed mid-refresh do I get partial refresh up to the failure or do I get the original as if no refresh happened at all?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors