Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is Power BI ROLAP or MOLAP ?

Hi,

Quick architectural question on Power BI. 

When we publish Pbix report from desktop to Power BI service, it publishes both "Visuals" under Report and the "Model" under Dataset. Is it right to say at this point, we are changing from ROLAP to MOLAP ?

I understand , to qualify this to be MOLAP we need a Cube Engine to preprocess which is what Power BI does under-the-hood with Azure Analysis Service Tabular model. 

If you are not sure about what is ROLAP and MOLAP, here is a link for ref. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought ROLAP and MOLAP were cube terminology.

Power BI report aren't really cube.

You can do a cube like report if you use the powerbi excel plugin and use your exel file with a powerbi source. You have a pivot table and can use all the column of your powerbi file as dimensions. You need to have measure in your powerbi file to have actual data that can be used in your pivot table though.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought ROLAP and MOLAP were cube terminology.

Power BI report aren't really cube.

You can do a cube like report if you use the powerbi excel plugin and use your exel file with a powerbi source. You have a pivot table and can use all the column of your powerbi file as dimensions. You need to have measure in your powerbi file to have actual data that can be used in your pivot table though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Vincent, 

Yes, they are cube terminology and Power BI under the hood is Tabular Model of Cube(similar to Multi dimensional)  in Azure Analysis Service.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors