Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DavidS524
Helper I
Helper I

Insert table option is not available when connecting to a dataset in Excel

Hello everyone,

I am looking to take advantage of the feature for connecting to a Power BI dataset directly from Excel Desktop, and then creating a table. This feature was announced back in August of 2023 here. There are further details as well as requirements in the MS documenation here. I know this is possible when doing it the other way around. That is, starting from a dataset in the PBI Service and then exporting to Excel. However I specifically want our end users to use the method in the above post and documenation.

I am a tenant admin for my organization so I have thoroughly checked each of the requirements and confirmed that I am meeting each of them. 

1. Users can work with Power BI semantic models in Excel using a live connection is enabled.
2. Allow XMLA endpoints and Analyze in Excel with on-premises datasets is enabled.
3. My version of Excel is: Microsoft® Excel® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2302 Build 16.0.16130.20848) 64-bit. When I open Excel I am opening it locally. Not via the web.

4. I am a tenant admin and I do have build access on the given datasets.

5. I have a Pro license and we have a P3 Premium capacity.

The first image below is from the MS documenation and shows the Insert Pivot Table and Insert Table options available. It also shows the ability to review the tables in the dataset and the reports using the dataset.

2024-01-04_14-59-44.jpg

When I follow the same steps I do not see these options. If I click on one of the available datasets it automatically creates a pivot table. Any ideas for what I am missing here? Thank you!

2024-01-04_15-00-22.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Check this link;

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-analyze-in-excel

required Excel version is mentioned there:

Note

Insert Table experience is available in Current Channel and Monthly Enterprise Channel for customers who have Excel version 16.0.16732.0 or higher. The add-in is visible in Excel for users with a Power BI Pro license. The Insert Table experience is not available in Excel for the Web.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ruhrbi91

Did anyone have any success here? I have the same problem and I can't figure out what the issue is.

@ruhrbi91 indeed, same issues in our company, there is no way to get the 'insert table' button visible.
@DavidS524 maybe you have suggestions?

Hi @AnFroyman , from my experience, the required version is actually higher than the version listed in the documentation. As far as I know this seems to be the only solution. As for what the actual minimum version is, I do not know exactly. So your best bet would be to contact MS or if possible, update Excel.

AnFroyman
Frequent Visitor

Hello everyone,

we are experiencing the same challenges > no 'insert table' button available.
- we have power bi pro licenses

- the excel version is build 17029

- we have build rights

what could be causing us not having the option?

filipbobczuk
Frequent Visitor

Hey everyone, 
I am facing similar issue, I meet all of the requirements listed in the documentation/posted by @DavidS524 initially. On top of that my Excel version is: (Version 2311 Build 16.0.17029.20140) 64-bit, but I am still not able to access the "Insert Table" feature. My only idea is that I do not have correct add-in. In the documentation it says that I need: "Power BI Excel add-in" but where can I find it? It is not in the store.

filipbobczuk_0-1705679233801.png

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @DavidS524 

My Excel version is 

aj1973_0-1704403062514.png

and it is working fine for me.

It could be an Add-ins that you need to get for your Excel.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Thanks for the suggestion, @aj1973 . However, the announcement post as well as the documenation don't mention anything about an additional add-in. If you look at your installed Add-in's, do you see anything that might be relevant? 

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hope this can help

aj1973_0-1704404405892.png

aj1973_1-1704404495966.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Check this link;

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-analyze-in-excel

required Excel version is mentioned there:

Note

Insert Table experience is available in Current Channel and Monthly Enterprise Channel for customers who have Excel version 16.0.16732.0 or higher. The add-in is visible in Excel for users with a Power BI Pro license. The Insert Table experience is not available in Excel for the Web.

@jabloa01 we are experiencing the same challenges (no 'insert table' button).
- we have power bi pro licenses

- the excel version is build 17029

- we have build rights

what could be causing us not having the option?

Hey @jabloa01 

Thank you for finding this. It conflicts with their other documentation that I linked above. Hopefully they will correct that soon. I was able to find a co-worker who happens to have a more recent version of Excel and the feature is working correctly for them. I'll just have to be patient until Excel is updated on my machine.

Thanks again!

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jabloa01 sorry I didn't get your reply!!!

It's not me who's opened this thread, I personally don't have issues with my Excel. Thanks for paying attention

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors