Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bmukes
Frequent Visitor

In a DataFlow are partitioned Azure DataLake Gen2 Parquet files supported

I generated partitioned Azure DataLake Gen2 Parquet files using a spark notebook and can query them with no issues in Synapse Analytics using serverless SQL.

bmukes_4-1651771859400.png

When I attempt to create a DataFlow using Azure DataLake Gen 2 storage using Url https://<my account>.dfs.core.windows.net/mothership/Transactions/SellingOrganizationId=3141

I see the 4 expected files.

bmukes_2-1651771664959.png

However, when I press Combine I get

bmukes_3-1651771770688.png

Am I doing something wrong or is this not supported.

Here is the POC spark notebook that generates the parquet file

using Microsoft.Spark.Sql;
using Microsoft.Spark.Sql.Types;

var df = spark.Read().Json("abfss://bdmtest@<myaccount>.dfs.core.windows.net/FLT/Trans/2011/04/30/**");

//get the schema of the data frame
var dfSchema = df.Schema() ;

foreach(var parentSchemaField in dfSchema.Fields) {

if (parentSchemaField.DataType is StructType) {
        var childFrame = df.Select($"{parentSchemaField.Name}.*") ;
        foreach(var childSchemaField in childFrame.Schema().Fields) {           
            df = df.WithColumn($"{parentSchemaField.Name}.{childSchemaField.Name}",Col($"{parentSchemaField.Name}.{childSchemaField.Name}")) ;
        }
        df = df.Drop(parentSchemaField.Name) ;
    }
}

//create the computed year, month, and day columns for partitioning
df.CreateOrReplaceTempView("tmpTable") ;
var dfparquet = spark.Sql("SELECT *, SUBSTRING(CreateDate,1,4) AS Year, SUBSTRING(CreateDate,6,2) AS Month, SUBSTRING(CreateDate,9,2) AS Day FROM tmpTable") ;

dfparquet.Write().PartitionBy("SellingOrganizationId","Year","Month","Day").Mode(SaveMode.Overwrite).Parquet("abfss://mothership@<myaccount>.dfs.core.windows.net/Transactions") ;

This works just fine you you use Power BI Desktop to load the data but you can only use the top most partition. in this case SellingOrganizationId=value  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
bmukes
Frequent Visitor

I am going to reply to my own question and hopefully it will close this issue and help someone else.

• What I needed was a Proof of Concept (POC) of putting data into a ADLS Gen2 storage account container where that container is partitioned by DataType/Year=2022/Month=01/Day=01.
  • Then I wanted to create a DataFlow referencing that container to see if Power BI Desktop could use the entities in that DataFlow. 

Anyway the issue was that I could not get it to work in a dataflow and even if I did I doubt that Query Folding would work.

So the alternative was to use serverless sql in Azure Synapse.

• I could create multiple databases with each database targeting a container within ADLS Gen2.
  • Rather than use AAD passthru I setup access to the CETAS table using a SAS token.
  • Then I used TSQL to create a specific username/password for access to each database.
  • Then I gave that username specific permissions.

This all worked fine until I discovered that you cannot refresh CETAS tables.

But it you do everything else the same and rather than create a CETAS table you create a view using OpenRowset then

"Bobs You Uncle".

Appending additional data to the underlying ADLS Gen 2 container as Year=xxxx/Month=xx/Day=xx works as expected.  I can see the refreshed data if I am attached using SSMS or if I  query in Azure Synapse.  I still have to refresh the DataFlow and for now until I can test using a Computed Engine I have to also refresh the DataSet but it does work in a DataFlow as expected.

Now I need to test using Lake Database tables to determine if they see appended data automatically.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
bmukes
Frequent Visitor

I am going to reply to my own question and hopefully it will close this issue and help someone else.

• What I needed was a Proof of Concept (POC) of putting data into a ADLS Gen2 storage account container where that container is partitioned by DataType/Year=2022/Month=01/Day=01.
  • Then I wanted to create a DataFlow referencing that container to see if Power BI Desktop could use the entities in that DataFlow. 

Anyway the issue was that I could not get it to work in a dataflow and even if I did I doubt that Query Folding would work.

So the alternative was to use serverless sql in Azure Synapse.

• I could create multiple databases with each database targeting a container within ADLS Gen2.
  • Rather than use AAD passthru I setup access to the CETAS table using a SAS token.
  • Then I used TSQL to create a specific username/password for access to each database.
  • Then I gave that username specific permissions.

This all worked fine until I discovered that you cannot refresh CETAS tables.

But it you do everything else the same and rather than create a CETAS table you create a view using OpenRowset then

"Bobs You Uncle".

Appending additional data to the underlying ADLS Gen 2 container as Year=xxxx/Month=xx/Day=xx works as expected.  I can see the refreshed data if I am attached using SSMS or if I  query in Azure Synapse.  I still have to refresh the DataFlow and for now until I can test using a Computed Engine I have to also refresh the DataSet but it does work in a DataFlow as expected.

Now I need to test using Lake Database tables to determine if they see appended data automatically.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors