Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Jeremy19
Helper III
Helper III

How to refresh data without opening Desktop?

Hi,

I create Power Bi reports via Desktop with a PC and I would like to refresh my data and refresh the reports available on the Service with my Mac. Do you have a solution ? I try putting the data on OneDrive or Sharepoint but it does not refresh. Is it necessary to create a gateway between the two computers, if so how?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,  @Jeremy19 

When creating reports on desktop, if your data source is a local data source, then you need to install a local gateway as a data transfer bridge when you refresh the report on service.
If your data source is a cloud data source (onedrive, sharepoint...) then you don't need to install the gateway when refreshing reports on service, you just need to configure the refresh credentials on service.

You can  refer to these tutorials for details.

service-gateway-data-sources 

service-gateway-enterprise-manage-scheduled-refresh 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

In my case, my data source (Excel file) is on my professional One Drive like my Power Bi file. However after importing the Power Bi report on the service I have the impression that the data does not update if I do not open the Power Bi on Desktop to update it manually (which I would not like to do in avoiding using the PC)

Hi, @Jeremy19 

How are you connecting to your data source?
When creating reports, you are probably using local excel credentials, not cloud credentials.

If excel is local, you need to use excel workbook connector to connect to the data and you need to download and configure gateway to synchronize  data on service.

If your excel is on onedrive,  you need to use the web connector.

You can refer to  connect-data/desktop-use-onedrive-business-links .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors