Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PC_PBIGUY
Frequent Visitor

How to populate Scorecard Hierarchies

I am looking to set up a hierarchy in my scorecard by organization and noticing something strange. I have created the hierarchy and the preview shows correctly but in the actual scorecard, the dropdown doesnt show anything. "All" is checked and there are no other options to select that should be there per what the preview shows. I tried re-creating the metrics, refreshing them, etc... and it does not change. Are there any additional actions that have to be done? I have included some screenshots for reference. Thanks!

Hierarchy Setup.jpgHierarchy Preview.jpgHierarchy Results.jpg

3 REPLIES 3
PC_PBIGUY
Frequent Visitor

Update to this. It seems to happen when connecting to a dataset that is referencing an Analysis Server. I was able to get results when connecting to a dataset that was all imported data. The problem is that i do not want to import the model data into the service. Maybe this is a known limitation?

PC_PBIGUY
Frequent Visitor

Hi There. I reviewed these limitations thoroughly and have seen that article in my search for a solution. I have confirmed that none of these apply to me. My credentials have full access to the dataset as i am the owner of the source reports for the scorecard. I am in a premium workspace. I do not use RLS in any way. I am using data and reports that live in the same workspace as well. Any other thoughts here?

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @PC_PBIGUY 

Based on my research and understanding on the hierarchy feature in the Power BI Scorecard, please first check if you met any of the limitation of the additional considerations for viewing a hierarchy in the Power BI service:

Premium or PPU workspace is required.

There are data limits on hierarchies:

• Up to 10,000 items per hierarchy (across all datasets)
  • Up to five hierarchies
  • Up to five levels per hierarchy

Permissions can't be set at a hierarchy level – metric level permissions are set at the scorecard and applied to all hierarchy views.

Data connections are evaluated by impersonating the hierarchy owner/creator where row-level security (RLS) may apply. This does not change metric level permissions.

Dynamic and static RLS is supported but it is routed through the hierarchy creator. All scorecard viewers impersonate the hierarchy creator’s access.

Hierarchy permissions can't be set at a specific hierarchy level. Metric level permissions are inherited from the original scorecard and are applied at all levels, and RLS via the hierarchy creator dictate permissions.

Non-admin users may experience refresh issues when setting up hierarchies on a dataset with dynamic RLS.

Manual metrics are indicated by an information icon showing which values are manual for that metric.

Notifications regarding status changes on child scorecard levels aren't triggered.

There is a limit of one selection per hierarchy for viewing a hierarchical scorecard.

History for hierarchical metrics isn't supported because data is always queried live from the dataset, instead of cached when the dataset refreshes.

Saving and sharing heatmap views isn't yet supported.

For more info, you can also refer to this official link:

View hierarchies in Power BI metrics - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors