Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to give Permission to refresh dataset to user

Hello All,

Our Power BI gateway is closing at the weekends and thus report refresh does not happen over weekends. So for user convenience purpose, my user is demanding to provide him the access so that he can update the report as per his convenience.

I am sharing the report with him with the permission to "build create and make changes" yet he is not getting any option to manually update the dataset. We checked it throughly but not able to get to the solution. We work on Power BI pro liscence and we are using personal gateway connection and using excel base data files for the report. 

Is standard gateway is required for him to manually update the dataset or any setting needs to be enabled ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I'd like a little more information to understand the situation

Do you have an enterprise data gateway deployed that is brought down on the weekends for maintenance or some other reason, or do you have a personal gateway installed on someone's machine that goes down when they leave for the weekend?

Either way, if the report depends on the gateway, your user will not be able to refresh the report in the service while the gateway is down

I would recommend installing an enterprise data gateway on a server that is always available, then you can grant the user on-demand refresh privileges on the dataset by giving them at least contributor role on the workspace where the dataset resides

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
blopez11
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

I'd like a little more information to understand the situation

Do you have an enterprise data gateway deployed that is brought down on the weekends for maintenance or some other reason, or do you have a personal gateway installed on someone's machine that goes down when they leave for the weekend?

Either way, if the report depends on the gateway, your user will not be able to refresh the report in the service while the gateway is down

I would recommend installing an enterprise data gateway on a server that is always available, then you can grant the user on-demand refresh privileges on the dataset by giving them at least contributor role on the workspace where the dataset resides

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors