Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adeelnazir
Helper I
Helper I

How to connect or use XMLA Endpoints with in SharePoint Site

I'm with Premium per User License.

I want to use Power BI Dataset especially Measures in my Sharepoint site using XMLA Endpoint.

For Example:

I have created a measure in Power BI

XYZ=SUM(Table[ColumnName])

I want to use/show this measure results on SharePoint using the XMLA endpoint.

Let me know is it possible?

How can I get XMLA endpoint measures in SharePoint?

How can I do so?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
adeelnazir
Helper I
Helper I

I got step by step guide on how to use XMLA endpoints using rest API. Using HTTP in SharePoint I can access my DAX measures directly in my SharePoint site from Power BI.

This is what I was looking for

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-ca/blog/announcing-the-public-preview-of-power-bi-rest-api-support-...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
adeelnazir
Helper I
Helper I

I got step by step guide on how to use XMLA endpoints using rest API. Using HTTP in SharePoint I can access my DAX measures directly in my SharePoint site from Power BI.

This is what I was looking for

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-ca/blog/announcing-the-public-preview-of-power-bi-rest-api-support-...

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @adeelnazir ,

I have to admit that I have no idea what you want to achieve, please explain your requirement in more detail.

In regards to the XMLA feature, this feature provides an endpoint that can be used by all appllications that are able to connect to an XMLA endpoint like SQL Server Management Studio, DAX Studio, Tabular Editor, and of course 3rd party BI tools like Tableau.

You can also using the XMLA endpoint by creating your own application by leveraging functionality of Power BI REST API or .net core libraries.

If you "just" want to embed a Power BI report into a SharePoint online site you can use this feature: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-embed-report-spo

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

For Example:

I have created a DAX measure in Power BI

XYZ := SUM(Table[ColumnName])

I want to use/show this measure results on SharePoint using the XMLA endpoint.

Let me know is it possible?

How can I get XMLA endpoint measures in SharePoint?

Based on your response I feel Power BI REST API can help get dataset's measure results?

Let me know the API steps that I need to use, in order to achieve my goal.

Hey @adeelnazir ,

I consider it not possible to connect from SharePoint to a Power BI dataset using the XMLA endpoint. This is because SharePoint does not natively connects to data sources using the XMLA endpoint connection type.

For this reason, I recommend I recommend creating a report in Power BI end then embedding this report into a Share Point site: Embed a report web part in SharePoint Online - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Hopefully, this provides a new idea on how to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors