Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

matthewt21
Frequent Visitor

How to build a data set from a valid PBI Service DSN (on-premise gateway) ?

Hi,

I have set up an on-premise data gateway (in AWS on a windows server with the Athena odbc driver).

All works in Power BI Service, I can see the GW and create a DSN, everything connects.

I can build a Flow in PBI Service, connect to the DSN and use that to create a dataset, I can then use that Flow in PowerBI desktop via Power Platform | Data flows. All good.

What is the workflow for building a Dataset from that Service DSN without going via Flow ? There is no option to create a Dataset from a DSN in PowerBI Service that I can see. And in PowerBI desktop it uses I assume a local DSN and no option exists in the Power Platform category to access the Service DSN.  What am I missing ?

Many thanks

2 REPLIES 2
MAwwad
Super User
Super User

To create a dataset directly from a Service DSN (on-premise gateway) in Power BI Desktop, you can follow these steps:

1. Open Power BI Desktop and click on "Get Data" in the Home tab.
  2. In the "Get Data" window, select "More" and then "Other" under the "Connect" category.
  3. In the "Other" category, select "ODBC" and then click on "Connect".
  4. In the "ODBC" window, click on "Machine Data Source" and select the DSN that you have created in the Power BI Service.
  5. Enter your credentials to connect to the data source and click on "Connect".
  6. Select the tables or views that you want to include in your dataset and click on "Load" to create the dataset.

Note that you need to make sure that your on-premise gateway is set up and configured properly, and that the DSN you have created is pointing to the correct data source.

Thanks for the reply. I don't get a machine datasource option. Is it the case that Power BI desktop needs to be running on the machine hosting the gateway ?

matthewt21_0-1677153030523.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors