Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Simon_Evans
Helper I
Helper I

How has this been created

Hi everyone.

So my CEO passed me the following link to the UK department for health - Daily update for COVID 19

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYmUwNmFhMjYtNGZhYS00NDk2LWFlMTAtOTg0OGNhNmFiNGM0IiwidCI6ImVlN...

It opens in the Power BI service and does not need a login (so I'm guessing they have the Capacity License. It contains reports as pages as you can use the slicers but everything is heavily customised and hidden so you almost would not know it was the Power BI service. 

I have no idea how they have managed this within the Power BI service. Can anyone give me any idea about this? Is such customisation a feature of the Capacity License?

Would really love to know as my CEO is now potentially looking to me to try and create something similar with our provision but I don't think he would be willing to stump up the cost of the Capacity License lol!

Kindest regards

Simon Evans

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Simon_Evans 

This is simply a Power BI report that has been "Published to web". This is an option that is available with every PowerBI licence type, from Free  to Pro and Premium Per User. It does NOT require a Premium Capacity licence.

On a Report go to file, embed report, publish to web(public)

Burningsuit_0-1665502473265.png

Doing this places the Report on a publicly-facing Microsoft server on the internet. Anyone with the URL for the report can access anonymously without a licence. The issue is that this web-space is crawled by tools like Google and Bing, so the report can turn up in internet search results. Because of this you shouldn't publish anything that is company confidential or proprietary. This option is not turned on by default for all users, the local administrator has to enable this if required.

See: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The Report itself has had a limited about of customisation, a different colour palette and a few rounded corners, but it is by no means the height of customisation that is available with Power BI, again this customisation is available with all licence types.

check out this as an example :   

Microsoft Power BI

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Simon_Evans 

This is simply a Power BI report that has been "Published to web". This is an option that is available with every PowerBI licence type, from Free  to Pro and Premium Per User. It does NOT require a Premium Capacity licence.

On a Report go to file, embed report, publish to web(public)

Burningsuit_0-1665502473265.png

Doing this places the Report on a publicly-facing Microsoft server on the internet. Anyone with the URL for the report can access anonymously without a licence. The issue is that this web-space is crawled by tools like Google and Bing, so the report can turn up in internet search results. Because of this you shouldn't publish anything that is company confidential or proprietary. This option is not turned on by default for all users, the local administrator has to enable this if required.

See: Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

The Report itself has had a limited about of customisation, a different colour palette and a few rounded corners, but it is by no means the height of customisation that is available with Power BI, again this customisation is available with all licence types.

check out this as an example :   

Microsoft Power BI

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors