Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How gateway query SQL?

Hello,

I have installed on-premises gateway, my source is SQL Server and I got a question from my colleague does data refresh through gateway have an impact for SQL work.
What I got so far is this article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-onprem-indepth

Screenshot_63.png

And as I understand that gateway just read the data, and won't have any big impact to SQL running during refresh time. Am I right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Yes there is an impact to resources used, Power BI is sort of like a bull in a china shop when you start firing off a refresh. It sucks ups resources and pulls the data as fast as it can. (Import). If you use direct query, then PBI could be firing queries at a pretty rapid pace depending on how many users you have looking at the report. So, all in all, yes there could be impacts.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@Anonymous Yes there is an impact to resources used, Power BI is sort of like a bull in a china shop when you start firing off a refresh. It sucks ups resources and pulls the data as fast as it can. (Import). If you use direct query, then PBI could be firing queries at a pretty rapid pace depending on how many users you have looking at the report. So, all in all, yes there could be impacts.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @Seth_C_Bauer !

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors