cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

How do people manage version control of PBI files when developing and testing on a live service?

Unless I am mistaken, there appears to be no mechanism for managing versions in Power BI. I have a number of 'production' workspaces with dataflows, datasets, visuals, etc. which are in a constant state of change at the moment. 

To try to manage this without impacting the end-users, I have created a dev/test workspace to develop and test changes before releasing to the user community, however... 

This means that I need to manually change the data connections before I can copy anything across to the production workspaces.

Am I missing a trick, is there some wizzy utility I've not stumbled on which manages all this for me?

How do you all manage this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Have a look at the ALM Toolkit: http://alm-toolkit.com/

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

We're still waiting for meaningful git integration. In the meantime export your report to PBIT (Power BI Template) whenever you did substantial changes,  and push these PBIT files into your git repository.  If you want to get fancy you can decompose the PBIT (it's a ZIPfile, really) and stuff the individual JSON and XML files into the git repository.

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Have a look at the ALM Toolkit: http://alm-toolkit.com/

View solution in original post

Highlighted

You may have saved me otravers 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors