Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

How do I create a Teams site that corresponds to the Workspace I created?

It appears that this used to happen automatically, a corresponding Teams site would be created when I created a Workspace in the Service. But I just created a new Workspace, and no corresponding Teams site appeared (or at least I can't find it). 

Is there a way I can manually create a Teams site that corresponds to the Workspace I just created? Any advice would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@GilbertQ, I don't mean to sound rude, but in pursuing your suggestion, I came across what the actual solution is: 

First create the "Teams team" (MS, you're such marketing boneheads), which thereby creates a PBI Workspace. Then you have a connected PBI workspace to work on.

So, now I'm in the process of deleting the original workspace I created and populating the new one that was created when I created the Teams team. Fortunately I didn't get too far into this, so it isn't too much work. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
joglidden2
Post Patron
Post Patron

Update: I opened a report in the Service, and then clicked 'Share to Teams', hoping that would create my Teams site for me. No luck. I just get a popup window with a "loading indicator" that spins forever and does nothing until I halt it by closing the popup. I believe that it can't find anything to do, because there is no corresponding Teams site. Thus, back to the original question:

How do I create a corresponding Teams site?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

This no longer functions in this way.

What you would do is to create a new teams channel. Then in the teams channel you can create a Power BI App which you can map through to the workspace.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ , thanks for the advice. I'll try it and get back to you. Question: if I do as you say, when I click 'Share to Teams' in a report, will it actually do that? I guess there's only one way to find out. 

Hi there

What I found is I clicked on Share to Teams and it opened up which team or person I wanted to share the report with.

This will work by sharing the Report. If you want to embed the report then use the App in Teams

Here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-embed-report-microsoft-teams

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ , Ok, thanks for the suggestion. No that doesn't work. It just spins, and times out. Pretty sure it's looking for a corresponding Teams environment, and since none exists, it just loops. 

@GilbertQ, I don't mean to sound rude, but in pursuing your suggestion, I came across what the actual solution is: 

First create the "Teams team" (MS, you're such marketing boneheads), which thereby creates a PBI Workspace. Then you have a connected PBI workspace to work on.

So, now I'm in the process of deleting the original workspace I created and populating the new one that was created when I created the Teams team. Fortunately I didn't get too far into this, so it isn't too much work. 

Hi there

Oh yes I forgot if the tenant setting has not been set to stop the creating of classic app workspaces when creating a MS Team it will create a Power BI App Workspace.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ, would that be an Office365 admin tenant setting? I wouldn't want it switched off, in lieu of specific knowledge on how to create a corresponding Team/team-PBI/Workspace, but I'm also not sure that an org as large as mine should be spinning up a workspace for every Team/team instance that's created. This is definitely something Microsoft should work on improving. 

Thanks for all your excellent feedback and advice.

What you can do is disable this and only let certain users be able to do this

here are more details: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-portal#block-classic-workspace-creatio...

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors