Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

garethp
Frequent Visitor

Help with Power BI gateway

Hi guys,

I've ran into an issue with using the Power BI gateway to refresh an Access database and hoping for some help.

The scenario:

• There is an Access database stored on a family friends small business computer which contains client and booking information (e.g. C:\database\database.accdb)
  • I have obtained a copy of this database and created a report off the local copy on my computer
  • I have downloaded Power BI gateway (logged in under my account and under a personal install) on the business computer so it can refresh the Access DB for me

What I'm hoping to understand is how I can continue to develop on the copy of the database I have and then "switch" the data source over to the one on the business computer which needs to be continuously updated via Power BI gateway.

I've tried ensuring that the file path is identical on both computers, and then validating credentials in Power BI online which succeed, but as soon as I click refresh it causes a failure which isn't very descriptive:

Cluster URIWABI-AUSTRALIA-EAST-A-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity IDc41ff94c-a53e-4605-b5c5-69c15203b86a
Request IDcca03cdb-a96e-4bc7-e143-ee472c216198
Time2020-02-20 09:49:31Z

At this stage the only way I can see for this to work is if I install Power BI on the business computer,  point the report to the database on the computer and then upload - but i'm hoping there is another way...

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
garethp
Frequent Visitor

In case it helps anyone I managed to solve this by:

1. Uninstalling the personal gateway and installing the on-premises one
  2. Updating the report data source location to the business computers path to the file
  3. Installing Access 2010 database engine on the business computer (stopped update errors from occuring) 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
garethp
Frequent Visitor

In case it helps anyone I managed to solve this by:

1. Uninstalling the personal gateway and installing the on-premises one
  2. Updating the report data source location to the business computers path to the file
  3. Installing Access 2010 database engine on the business computer (stopped update errors from occuring) 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors