Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rfisch18
Regular Visitor

Guest Users and Premium Workspace

Guest users are unable to access paginated reports in a premium workspace. Using Premium per user if that matters. The guest user I tested with is a pro user and when they tried to access the report were given a message that they needed a premium per user account for access. 

Isn't the purpose of a premium workspace that guest users can have access with just a free account?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rfisch18 

Yes, pagianated report need be deployed into a premium feature workspace( premium  capacities  workspace or premium per user workspace ).

If you want free user to access your workspace,  your organization need to purchase Premium capacities  (P1 through P3, EM3 and P1 (month to month)  )and you need to be a  premiumn capacity administrator to allocate dedicated capacity for your workspace.

Your current premium capacity is premium per user (preview). The public preview is available to all organizations  pro license user and is free of charge  before the official release.

120.png

The actual premium capacity you need is  Premium capacities  ( P1 through P3, EM3 and P1(month to month)) 

This feature is available to capacity administrator.

118.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
marmo

@v-easonf-msft I am currently dealing with this issue. Your documentation appears to state guests can access reports created by a PPU licensed user:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

Licensing

The guest user must have the proper licensing in place to view the content that you shared. There are a few ways to make sure the user has a proper license: use Power BI Premium, assign a Power BI Pro license, get a Premium Per User (PPU) license, or use the guest's Power BI Pro license.

The doc goes on to state:

"Guest users who can edit and manage content in the organization need a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license to contribute content to workspaces or share content with others."

This gives me the implication that the guest user needs a license to "edit and manage", not read-only.

Am I interpreting this wrong?

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rfisch18 

Yes, pagianated report need be deployed into a premium feature workspace( premium  capacities  workspace or premium per user workspace ).

If you want free user to access your workspace,  your organization need to purchase Premium capacities  (P1 through P3, EM3 and P1 (month to month)  )and you need to be a  premiumn capacity administrator to allocate dedicated capacity for your workspace.

Your current premium capacity is premium per user (preview). The public preview is available to all organizations  pro license user and is free of charge  before the official release.

120.png

The actual premium capacity you need is  Premium capacities  ( P1 through P3, EM3 and P1(month to month)) 

This feature is available to capacity administrator.

118.png

Best Regards,

rfisch18
Regular Visitor

Well then what is the point of premium per user? I've created a report for a client I can't share from my system without a $5000 per month minimum license? 

Hi @rfisch18 ,

As @v-easonf-msft  is pointing out, you are using a Premium Workspace.  If you are using the Premium Per User license to create that workspace, then the person that you are sharing with also has to be using Premium Per User and/or have a Premium license.  If you don't want them to have that, then you have to make a different non-Premium workspace.  Then they will be able to see it without a Premium but with a Pro license.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Collinq,

that is not correct because it is a pagianated report. Which can only be deployed into a premium workspace

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rfisch18 

Judging from the  icon that adorns the workspace name in your screenshot, you are accessing a premium per user workspace rather than a premium per capacity workspace.

115.png 112.png

There are many  differences between Premium Per User and Premium Per capacity.

To view content in a Premium Per User workspace, any user must have a Premium Per User(PPU) license.

114.png

The following chart describes who can see which kinds of content with PPU:

111.png

Best Regards,

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @rfisch18 

I can‘t reproduce your problem on my side. Can you show a screenshot of the message?

If it is a common report rather than a paginated report to share, will there be a similar message?

Best Regards,

I don't have a common report to share but I'll make a quick one and give it a try. Here is the screenshot when the guest user attempts to access the report via the IOS app.

rfisch18_0-1608755668227.jpeg

collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @rfisch18 ,

I have not heard of this issue before.  If you have Premium, you can share with anybody and they do not have to have a license.  To quote:  "With Premium, anyone, whether they're inside or outside your organization can view your Power BI content including paginated and interactive reports without purchasing individual licenses."  

Therefore, I suggest trying again, and then if there is still an issue to open a ticket because if you have Premium, you should be able to share.  First though, I would confirm for sure that you are in a Premium workspace.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors