Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JaSp

Grouping of Multiple Columns in PowerBI-Service

Hi all,

I am unfortunately stuck at a visualisation issue within the PowerBI Online App. 

The data I'd like to analyse/visualise is structured as follows:

Title | LocationA | LocationB | LocationC | Publisher1 | Publisher2

Title contains distinct datapoints whereas Location and Publisher contain repeating datapoints (there is one type of type listed in the TypeA column. Here's an example:

The issue is that columns B, C, D and E, F all represent datapoints related to the same category (Publish-Location for B, C, D and Publisher for E, F). However, if I want to create a visualization showing where and by whom my ads have been published (e.g. a bar graph with 3 bars for the publishing locations and a graphical sub-division per bar for each publisher) .

Is there any way to group those colums or tell PowerBI that they contain data from the same category (Location and Publisher)?

Thanks for your help!

Jan

2 REPLIES 2
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JaSp,

Could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JaSp,

Based on my test, you could refer to below steps:

Sample data:

1.PNG

Unpivot all the columns except [Title] in query editor:

1.PNG

Apply it and create a calculated column in data view:

Group = IF(Table1[Attribute]="Facebook"||[Attribute]="Youtube"||[Attribute]="Linkedin","Group1","Group2")

1.PNG

Now you could create a bar chart and use the Group as legend and publish to service:

1.PNG

You could also download the pbix file to have a view.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors