Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AccrualJoke
Helper I
Helper I

Git and ADO Integration with Live Connection

In PowerBI service, is it possible to have Git and Azure DevOps integration in a PBI workspace where the report itself uses a live connection? For context, the PBI file is saved as a PBIP and uses a live connection. However, when exported as a PBIP, no folder for the dataset is created nor is the .gitignore file created. When a sync is attempted between the git repo and workspace, an error will say something along the lines of "Report Workload failed to DiscoverDependencies for DefinitionId since it failed to get the dependency from report definition part" 

Is it that live connections aren't supported when it comes to PBIP and git repos?

Or is it that something isn't set up properly.

4 REPLIES 4
v-xiandat-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AccrualJoke ,

When you try to sync between a git repository and a workspace, it seems that you're getting an error.

Here are some suggestions for you:

1.Make sure your Git and Azure DevOps integrations are set up correctly, as your connection will report an error if misconfigured

2.As for the error message you see, it might be related to the fact that the PBIP file does not contain a data model. The "DiscoverDependencies" function may be trying to find a data model in the PBIP file, but it fails because it doesn't exist.

3.You can try switching to a PBIX file to connect to the data source in real time

Below is the Microsoft's link:

Use Azure CLI to share Git code - Azure Repos | Microsoft Learn

Git integration with Power BI Desktop projects - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Xianda Tang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I don't believe it's related to the setup being misconfigured, but rather something to do with how PBI files created with live connections do not contain a dataset definition. It seems to only contain the report definition. But I don't see any official MS documentation explicitly explaining this and how this impacts git integration when using PBIP files.

Ideally, we would want our developers to push their PBIP changes from their local to remote repos, and then have the repo sync with the PBI workspace. But does having a live connection prevent all of this from being possible? 

If you have a Pro license you can open a Pro ticket at https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/newsupportticket/powerbi
Otherwise you can raise an issue at https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues .

Thanks for the suggestion! Forgot about support tickets.

I ended up finding the documentation on supported items for git integration. Turns out live connections aren't yet supported. So I guess the workaround is to publish as PBIX instead?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors