Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

gwolszczak
Frequent Visitor

Git Integration - Parameters

Is it possible to bind the selected parameter values with a specific branch in git?

I have the following setup:

DEV Workspace -  Dev Branch in Git project
PROD Workspace -  main Branch in Git project

every time when I create pull request to main branch, it will overwrite my selected in the workspace paramter values that define my connection: (I have different server for DEV & PROD).

Is it possible to somehow manage that?
Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
MNorstedt
Frequent Visitor

I am looking for the same info. I like the idea of the integrated git workspaces and I can certainly see the appeal in our environment, however we use the Pipeline parameter updates to adjust connection strings and variables. So far I'm thinking our only way to implement the integrated git is to only worry about the dev workspace and use the powerbi pipeline to elevate to test/prod. Not really ideal but better then nothing?

Using deployment pipelines won't work unfortunately. We are using PowerON visuals that require connection details that are nor parameteized but stored directly in the report.json code. Testing DevOPS pipeline options; currently we do it manually which is a bit of a headache.

Ah, I misunderstood your issue. We currently use the pipelines to change connections and parameters however I don't think stepping away from the pipeline will work when git syncs the code (as it should) as the parameters need to be diffetent between workspaces/branches.

Good luck on the quest to find an answer for your issue!

Jannematz
Frequent Visitor

I can recommend to use the git integration in the dev workspace only and use deployment pipelines with their respecting parameter/data source rules to change the parameters/data sources inbetween stages.

To stay with your architecture: Maybe you can run a azure devops pipeline when there are changes to main to replace the connection strings?

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors