Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

JessieF
Advocate II
Advocate II

Gateway is online but in newly published report displays as unreachable

I am the tenant admin and have made no changes to gateways recently, and earlier today they were working without issue.

I just republished a new report to an existing workspace, and it was an update to an existing report that is also used in an App. As a best practice I always confirm the Semantic model settings are correct and scheduled refreshes are still happening after a republish - however that didn't go as planned. Our org has 3 Gateway clusters, one not in use at this time, one is used only for Power BI connections and the other for Power Platform (Apps, Automate, etc)
I confirmed in 'manage connections and gateways' that the expected Power BI gateway cluster is online but the Workspace cannot recognize it for some reason. Instead it is connecting me to the Gateway used for Power Apps and I cannot unselected the option in 'Maps to'. 

I don't manage the Power Apps gateway, only Power BI.

I'm not sure how to resolve this and need to deliver a report asap.

This image shows me verifying that my Gateway cluster is online, the connection to SQL database is connected to that Gateway and the connection is online. And the Semantic model settings showing that the expected Gateway is not reachable. 

Instead is shows the Gateway named uscl-pwrapp, which is the one I don't manage and cannot see as my admin role in our tenant.

Since it wanted to auto connect I did try but it failed immediately

JessieF_0-1714714634828.png

Thank you
Jessie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @JessieF ,

each database needs its own data gateway connection, and users (content creators who are publishing the report their reports to a workspace) who are using the data sources (the two data sources, namely the two SQL Server databases) have to be added to this data gateway connectios, at least as a user of the data gateway connection.

Make sure that both SQL Servers have a data gateway connection assigned to the gateway you are managing.

Hopefully, this helps to tackle the challenge you are facing.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @JessieF ,

each database needs its own data gateway connection, and users (content creators who are publishing the report their reports to a workspace) who are using the data sources (the two data sources, namely the two SQL Server databases) have to be added to this data gateway connectios, at least as a user of the data gateway connection.

Make sure that both SQL Servers have a data gateway connection assigned to the gateway you are managing.

Hopefully, this helps to tackle the challenge you are facing.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Exactly 3 minutes ago I realized that was my problem.  It's probably because it's 2am EST and I'm over worked and underslept and forgot that I used a different database for the extra content.  I very much appreciate your reply - this is the exact problem and I'm only disappointed in myself that I didn't catch this.

Best,
Jessie

Ha, at 2AM you should not be dissapointed in yourself.

Sleep well

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors