Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gateway - Adopting Wrong User for Configuration

I am tyring to set-up a gateway on a server. On the server I am logged in as admin@domain which is not the account I use in the PBI service. On the service I use my regular account me@domain.

So of course when logging in to the gateway SW on the server to configure the gateway, I use me@domain. This appears to log me in. 

However, it acutally logs me into the gateway as admin@myorg.onmicrosoft.com. Hence, when I configure the gateway it is not visible to me@domain in the service. admin@myorg.onmicrosoft.com and admin@domain do not have PBI or office 365 access so I cannot see if the service can see the gateway.

Using my own Azure VM, I have tested if I can create a gateway using me@domain, and I can. This seems to be something happening on my organisation's servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

Glad to hear you found this workaround. So you registered the gateway with the admin account admin@domain.onmicrosoft.com, and also logs in Power BI Service with the same account? Add me@domain as the gateway administrator. I'm so sorry until now I haven't found a possible cause. . .I will check with other person if they face the similar problem before.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

First, if you want to view the corresponding gateway instance in Power BI Service gateway list, your gateway log account must be same as the account used to log in to Power BI Service. What account did you use to configure the gateway before?me@domain?

Please try to close the gateway then sign in the gateway with me@domain again.

sign in.JPG

In addition, there are some documentations here, hope they can help you.

https://radacad.com/the-power-bi-gateway-all-you-need-to-know

https://www.biinsight.com/definitive-guide-to-implement-on-premises-data-gateway-enterprise-mode-in-organisations/

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Data-Gateway-Login-Best-Practice/td-p/104781

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-service-account

Best Regards

Rena

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft 

Thanks for the attempt, however it does not resolve my problem.

When in sign in to the GW config sw on the server I am using me@domain which is the account I use on the service, hence I expect to see the GW listed, I do not.

Even though I sign in as me@domain to the GW config SW on the server, the next screen then shows me as admin@domain.onmicrosoft.com which is a derivitive of the account I actually log into the server with. This is the problem. The GW SW is adopting the admin account, it is not using is not using my PBI account I want it to use, me@domain. 

This is what I see once logged into the GW SW:

Hi @Anonymous,

It is werid... Could you please provide the screenshot which you logged into gateway? And please check if the account "me@domain" can sign in after uninstall and re-install the gateway.

Best Regards

Rena

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft 

I did try to load the screenshot and could not. Tyring again:

GW loginGW login

I have been working with our Infrastructure team. They do not know what is causing this.

We used a workaround which was simply to allow enable PBI for the admin user. I then created the GW under that user in the service and assigned my regular user as a GW admin. So sypmptom fixed but cause remains unknown!

Thanks for trying.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Glad to hear you found this workaround. So you registered the gateway with the admin account admin@domain.onmicrosoft.com, and also logs in Power BI Service with the same account? Add me@domain as the gateway administrator. I'm so sorry until now I haven't found a possible cause. . .I will check with other person if they face the similar problem before.

Best Regards

Rena

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors