Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

PaulBerg
Frequent Visitor

Failed to refresh dataflow after changing underlying data

I created a dataflow targeting a table in my Azure SQL DB.

I did some changes and removed and added columns to the underlying table.

I hit Edit on my entity in the dataflow, verified that the data preview was in accordance to the underlying table and hit Save and Close.

If i now expand my entity so that i can see the Columns and Datatypes the changes are not reflected. I tried to update my Dataflow and is met by a failure with reason that it cannot find the columns that I removed from the underlying table.

If I deleted the query against this entity in the dataflow and added a new one targeting the same SQL table the problem persist.

The only fix for this is for me to create a new dataflow targeting the updated SQL table for the changes to come through.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lbendlin ,

You are getting error : The"xxx"column does not exist in rowset, is it right?  It is by design, modifiying the structure of a data source will cause this problem. You need to republish it. For more details, please refer to  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Error-when-refreshing-dataset-based-on-a-dataflow-entity-wit...

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lbendlin ,

You are getting error : The"xxx"column does not exist in rowset, is it right?  It is by design, modifiying the structure of a data source will cause this problem. You need to republish it. For more details, please refer to  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Error-when-refreshing-dataset-based-on-a-dataflow-entity-wit...

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Ok, so its not a bug but a feature?

One would imagine that using edit on a dataflow entity to update and refresh the data would also save the eventual changes.

Imagine deploying a self-service BI structure to an enterprise wide Power BI organization and having to update each and every dataset and app with the new source parameters. 

If what you are saying is true then one would have to make sure that the underlying table in the source never changes or youll be in a heap of administration problem updating all the dependencies.

I thank you for your reply and will mark it as the solution. Even though i wouldve hoped to have this acknowledged as a bug.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Did you at any point update the app?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors