Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

External Sharing of Reports

Hi

I have a situation where I am trying to share a report with an external user. To give some background, my company builds reports for our clients, who are external. We then assign them a Power BI licence and share the report with them. We haven't had any issues before now doing this. Usually our client has access to the corresponding SharePoint site and so we can view their user within the Office Admin centre and through Azure. It is through Azure that we apply the Power BI licence.

We have a new client who doesn't have access to SharePoint and will not be able to get access to SharePoint due to sensitive data. But they want access to their Power BI report. So we have added them in Azure as a guest user and assigned them a Power BI licence and shared the report with them. When they were added as a guest user, they got a welcome email from my company but when they clicked the 'Get Started' link within the email, the error AADB2B_0001: We cannot create a self service Azure AD acount for you becuase the directory is federated. Tenant's admin must create an account for you.

Once they sent us this error, we realised that their users are not synced to Azure and this is something that cannot be done at present.

Is there any way around this?

Any guidance at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you have Power BI Premium, you can also share the report to the people outside your organization. 

Best Regards,

Teige

Anonymous
Not applicable

I should have specified - I don't have Power BI Premium

Hi,

You should give PowerBI Robots a try. It allows you to automate and share reports with anyone, even outside your organization, by email, SharePoint, to a file system or a smart TV. Let us know if you need some help setting things up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors