Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tstackhouse
Helper III
Helper III

Exporting to Excel from a Matrix

Is there a way to export a data from a Matrix to Excel in the Power BI Service? I cannot seem to find anything that works. I can export data from other types of visuals but it doesnt seem that I can with a Matrix. I do not have the "More Options" button in the top right of my visual.

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @tstackhouse 

Is the matrix the one that comes with Power BI or did you import it from AppSource or your organizational store?  Is it a custom visual?

If not, did you turn off visual headers? 

Select the matrix > open Formatting pane > turn ON "Visual headers" > under "Visual headers" make sure all necessary icons are turned ON as well. 

vizheader.png

Let me know if this works,

Michele

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mihart
Employee
Employee

Hi @tstackhouse 

There are many reasons why you cannot export from your matrix.  This is a good article to help -- especially the Limitations and considerations section at the bottom:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data

The most common reasons are:

1. The option to export the data requires a Pro or Premium license as well as edit permissions to the dataset and report. If you have access to the dashboard or report but the data is classified as highly confidential, Power BI will not allow you to export the data.
  2. You administrator and/or the report owner can disable the ability to export.  
  3. If you are the owner or admin, you can turn ON this feature by going to Settings and turning it back ON. 

HTH

Michele

Hi @mihart ,

It seems to just be this specific visual in the report. I do not even have the buttons to drill up, drill down, pin visual, etc. on this matrix. (See Picture 1) In other visuals on the same report I am able to see these options. (see Picture 2). 

I thought it may be that a user does not have these options in the service. However, in another report I have created I am able to see all of these options. (see Picture 3) I am the creator of both reports shown. To me, it seems like there is something with that visual specifically.

Picture 1

Capture2.PNG

Picture 2

Capture 1.png

Picture 3

capture 4.png

Hi @tstackhouse 

Is the matrix the one that comes with Power BI or did you import it from AppSource or your organizational store?  Is it a custom visual?

If not, did you turn off visual headers? 

Select the matrix > open Formatting pane > turn ON "Visual headers" > under "Visual headers" make sure all necessary icons are turned ON as well. 

vizheader.png

Let me know if this works,

Michele

It worked. 
Thank you. 

@mihart  it is the Matrix that comes with Power BI. I did have Visual Headers turned off for some reason...? I am now able to export. Thank you!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors