Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Excel workbook with PowerBI odc file as external connector in the Service

Good Morning

I have an excel file utilizing an external ODC connector - which links back to a PowerBI data set within hte Service.

At the desktop level, I have been able to implement cubevalue style reporting utilizing a simple slicer.   Works GREAT!

However, now I am wanting to transition this same file to within the Service.   I have the file uploaded and now shows up in the specified workspace - under the Wookbook tab.  As I click on file name -as an attempt to open the file, a series of dialogs occur.

1: "Query and Refresh Data" warning regarding unsafe queries.  I click yes

2:  External Data Refresh Faled - indicating the initial ODC connector file name, click ok.

From there the file opens up in Excel online.   However, clicking on the slicer results in the same @#2 error External Date Refresh Failed

Looking within the file settings - I see no place to establish a gateway to this ODC file.   Since, the ODC goes back to a PowerBI dataset - once passed into the service, is there another connector I need to be using.   Since I uploaded froma  local drive versus OneDrive for business I have no edit options

Thank you!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently you cannot have an Excel file connected to a Power BI Dataset that will work and refresh.

You can vote for the idea at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dellis81,

Current power bi does not support you to publish odc file that generated from 'analyze in excel' feature back to power bi service side, you can take a look at the following document to know more about this limitation:

Analyze in Excel#save 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thank you both - wish I could mark both of you down as the solution

The possibilities are endless w/this technology!!  

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dellis81,

Current power bi does not support you to publish odc file that generated from 'analyze in excel' feature back to power bi service side, you can take a look at the following document to know more about this limitation:

Analyze in Excel#save 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Currently you cannot have an Excel file connected to a Power BI Dataset that will work and refresh.

You can vote for the idea at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Power BI Blog

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thank you both - wish I could mark both of you down as the solution

The possibilities are endless w/this technology!!  

Thanks for letting us know!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors