Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

SPIND
Frequent Visitor

Error 429 "Too many requests" when refreshing a dataflow that has some google sheet files

HI community,

I have been searching for information both on the internet and in the Power BI community without success.

Due to company requirements, I must create a project management report in Power Bi using Google Sheets to collect the data.

To put it in context, i have a pro license, the company has 3 headquarters, each with different departments. Standardized google sheet  templates have been created (Projects, Tasks, Invoices etc). Each department of each office will use a Google Sheet file to put information regarding projects, tasks etc.

My idea is to create a  Project dataflow for office 1, that collects all the equivalent spreadsheets from all the departments in the office and repeat the process with a task or invoice dataflow for office 1. 

Currently I have created the task dataflow for an office to which I have connected with 5 Google Sheet files simulating 5 departments. At the moment those files barely have data.

I update the dataflow through Power Automate. The thing is that the 429 "Too Many requests" error appears frequently and randomly. Sometimes there are no problems and other times there are. There are no other dataflows updating at the same time or anything. I have been carrying this error for months.

I am worried that the problem will get worse as I incorporate more dataflows with files from Google Sheet. I know that when scheduling a refresh of dataflows they should be spaced out as much as possible but I have a problem having only 1 dataflow with 5 google sheet files. I have even seen errors with a dataflow with 1 or 2 google sheet files.

The solution provided in a microsoft ticket was "Reduce the load/data to avoid too many request error" and to contact Google support. To be honest that reply is not helpful because i have seen that error  with a dataflow with 1 or 2 google sheet files in it and nothing else getting refreshed at that time.

Any idea how to avoid error 429 "Too many requests". Not sure if i wont get that error if i apply the rule 1 dataflow = 1 google sheet file, although this wont be very useful in any case either.

Thank you for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The solution provided in a microsoft ticket was "Reduce the load/data to avoid too many request error" and to contact Google support. To be honest that reply is not helpful

You may not like it but that reply is accurate. The 429 red card is handed to you by Google, not by Power Automate.

Any idea how to avoid error 429 "Too many requests"

Refactor your workflow to reduce the number of requests against that source system.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The solution provided in a microsoft ticket was "Reduce the load/data to avoid too many request error" and to contact Google support. To be honest that reply is not helpful

You may not like it but that reply is accurate. The 429 red card is handed to you by Google, not by Power Automate.

Any idea how to avoid error 429 "Too many requests"

Refactor your workflow to reduce the number of requests against that source system.

I´m going to try to combine some google sheet files into one. Hopefully it will reduce the requests.

I'm having the same issue. Did combining the Google sheets into one file help?

It did.

FeddeB
Frequent Visitor

In one sheet within a google sheet? I experience the same, but this isn't really a solution, but I'll try to see if it can work for me... I have several google sheets for different Power BI reports and the refresh now fails more often than not..

Please report back your findings! Would love to know if this is a possible workaround.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors