Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

arock-well
Helper V
Helper V

Email subscription to RDL report returns no data (but works in Power BI Service)

I created a paginated RDL report and subscribed to it. The subscription with a PDF attachment has been working correctly for the last few weeks as expected.

However, today the report returned no data. If I open the report from the subscription "Go to report" link and try to run the report there, no data comes back still. 

I figured that the dataset did not refresh correctly, but that is not the case. If I go directly into the Workspace from within the Power BI Service (bypassing the subscription link) and run the report from there, it works.

Any idea what could be happening here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks collinq. It wasn't a dataset refresh timing issue as it still doesn't work even when it was refreshed. Anyway, nobody else was having this issue so I'm going to assume it's a one-off error. I resubscribed and the new one is working correctly. So I'll close this issue for now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @arock-well ,

I understand that the subscription version didn't send anything but then when you manually refreshed it you got data.  I am wondering if the subscription ran prior to the refresh finishing.  OR, perhaps the refresh failed, the subscription ran and the email went out but then the next refresh worked just fine?  Have you checked the Refresh History and the amount of time that the refresh is taking and if that perhaps could be the issue?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks collinq. It wasn't a dataset refresh timing issue as it still doesn't work even when it was refreshed. Anyway, nobody else was having this issue so I'm going to assume it's a one-off error. I resubscribed and the new one is working correctly. So I'll close this issue for now.

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be a one-off issue.

Others in my organization are having this same issue now. It seems to only be fixed if they delete the original subscription and create a new one. However, someone said it worked the first week after they did this, but then the second week data came back empty.

Why is this happening and what can be done to permanently fix it?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors