Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sasdfasdfsad
Helper II
Helper II

Edit data models in the Power BI service --How can I "download" my changes or sync back to DevOps?

I really like the preview of editing data models in the service.

How do I sync back changes to my pbix file(s) that I have in source control though?

What tool seems to work best for that purpose?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Once you sync your Power Bi Service workspace with GIT using DevOps repo. You can clone it locally. From that point you won't publish again. You can pull changes from repo and push them back once you change it. From Power Bi Service there is a button for "Source control" in order to let them do the same. You can click there to send the changes from service to repo or take them.

You can read more about this integration here:

Workspace stand point: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/cicd/git-integration/git-get-started?tabs=commit-to-git

PBI Desktop stand point: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/projects/projects-git

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. I would assume you are talking about GIT integration at a workspace.
The way to get the Service changes back to the Power Bi Desktop would be using a tool that helps you read GIT. Traditionally you can use git bash, however if you don't want to write code and prefer UI tools, visual studio code has a nice integration for cloning a repo.

When you have the repo cloned with the tool. You can start the development process openning the tool and "Pulling changes" for the repo. That should bring all changes back so that you can open the Power Bi Desktop next with the new changes.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Is there a tool to use to read the file in the PBI service and sync changes back to my .pbix file I have open on my desktop?

So I have the pbix checked into source control, I check it out, and work on it, check back in, publish.

But if a change is made to the pbix data model on the PBI service, how can I sync that back to my desktop copy?

If I open my desktop copy of the PBIX file, can I sync the changes and then check back into source control that way?  Without having to download the entire file from the PBI service?

Once you sync your Power Bi Service workspace with GIT using DevOps repo. You can clone it locally. From that point you won't publish again. You can pull changes from repo and push them back once you change it. From Power Bi Service there is a button for "Source control" in order to let them do the same. You can click there to send the changes from service to repo or take them.

You can read more about this integration here:

Workspace stand point: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/cicd/git-integration/git-get-started?tabs=commit-to-git

PBI Desktop stand point: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/projects/projects-git

I hope that helps,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors