Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jackstrudleywsh
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic RLS not working in Datamarts as well as not being able to SUM decimal values

Hi,

I'm using PPU. I've setup a Datamart which feeds off of a Premium Dataflow in the same Workspace and have found the following issues:

You're unable to setup Dynamic RLS, Currently we use the following DAX to apply our RLS (Users joins to RLS one to Many and Locations joins to RLS one to Many): 
[Location Key] =
LOOKUPVALUE(
'RLS'[Location Key],
'Users'[UPN], USERPRINCIPALNAME(),
'RLS'[Location Key],
'Locations'[Location Key]
)

I'm unable to see how I'd recreate this using Datamarts.

Finally, I've got an issue whereby all the Fields I pull in from Dataflows which are Decimal Numbers are unable to be summed at Measure level or even just by settings the Fields default to SUM. I receive the following error message: 
Error converting data type nvarchar to bigint.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jack

5 REPLIES 5
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jackstrudleywsh ,

In my tests, it affected the results several times because of the relationships and the spaces in the col,you could download my pbix file and check your file.

vluwangmsft_0-1653966694786.pngvluwangmsft_1-1653966748295.png

vluwangmsft_2-1653966761113.pngvluwangmsft_3-1653966801236.png

On power bi service:

vluwangmsft_4-1653966820817.png

Best Regards

Lucien

Hey Lucien,

So the issue isn't that the RLS isn't working for my Dataset, the issue is I'm unable to replicate it within the new Datamart feature as there is no option to input a Dax expression.....

Hi @jackstrudleywsh ,

Too bad, see below and check if it works for you.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/transform-model/datamarts/datamarts-access-control 

Best Regards

Lucien

jackstrudleywsh
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

So the relationships mentioned above.
The Users table contains people's email address:
 UPN
vluwang@microsoft.co.uk
jstrudley@microsoft.co.uk

The Locations table then contains the Location Keys as well as the email address of people who can access them. For example:
Location Key                UPN
        1              vluwang@microsoft.co.uk
        1              jstrudley@microsoft.co.uk

Then finally Locations contains all the individual Location Keys:
Location Key

In the above scenario both of us should only be able to view Location data for Location Key 1.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jackstrudleywsh ,

Could you pls provided your sample data and expected result.Just based on dax, it's not very clear.

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors