Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Rakshhit_Sharma
Frequent Visitor

Dropbox Data Source Error

The scenario is: A xlsb file present in dropbox online folder is currently of size 16 mb. Another file is also being used as data source which is of small size, 6 or 7 mb. both are connected to power bi as data source in same way: their share links are copied and pasted as web data source , the "dl" thing is changed from 0 to 1 and excuted after that. The dashboard with small file is updating and working perfectly. Even the service refresh happens smoothly in no time. But problem has come for the large file. Initially it was working fine, but i guess, after its size has crossed 15 mb mark, direct access and refresh in power bi service has been stopped. In semantic model settings for that big file report, it is asking to convert that specific workspace to Premium[currently it is at pro]. Any suggestions what else i can do to again connect and refresh my dashboard in service directly from dropbox online. Any suggestions will be helpful

8 REPLIES 8
KalJal

Thank U

Rakshhit_Sharma
Frequent Visitor

Also one thing more, the xlsb file i am using as my data source is of currently 16 mb .  if we convert it to xlsx format, it will change to size of 43 mb. any reason why the service the file of such small size. Acc. to their online resources ,  max size of 1 gb and 10gb is acceptable for free and pro versions. then why mine is not refreshing ?

Hi @Rakshhit_Sharma ,

The difference in file size between the XLSB and XLSX formats is due to their structureXLSB is a binary file format, which stores information as raw binary data, making it more compact and faster to read and write12. On the other hand, XLSX is an XML-based file format, which tends to be larger because it stores data as text in XML, which is then compressed.

Regarding the issue with your file not refreshing, even though it’s well below the 1 GB or 10 GB limits for free and pro versions respectively. You can read this topic: Solved: power bi file size limits - Microsoft Fabric Community

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I did some tests, even if i reduce my file size by 3 4 mb , down to 12 13 mb, even then that xlsb file located in dropbox is not connecting properly woth power bi service. On the other hand, if i connect a 50 60 mb xlsx file through the same process, it will connect and refresh smoothly. I am wondering is this any new bug of dropbox or power bi service or windows where xlsb files are not working properly.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Rakshhit_Sharma 

That this is the file size limit with power BI Pro. You would have to either upgrade your license to premium per user or reduce the file size to less than 15 MB.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the info. Any other option available to me in my current scenario. Also, if i have to convert that workspace to premium, will that affect any existing admins managing it. Some have pro or free license of power bi service. Thanks once again for the information.

Hi @Rakshhit_Sharma 

People who consume from this workspace will then also need to get a premium per user licence. Nothing will be deleted. or changed it will still work as expected.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Any other option available , cause there are many people attached to that workspace. Only 2 edit it , rest just refresh the report and view it. Converting their license will be a long method. Any other way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors