Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobThrive
Resolver I
Resolver I

Download pbix from publish to web

Hello,

Started a new role at a company who have been investigating and playing with PowerBI. My predecessor has used "publish to web" to publish a report.

Unfortunately I cannot find a pbix file on our network so I can edit the report locally and I am struggling to find a way to download the file that was published. I've also now just disabled the "publish to web" feature for our organisation which means the report itself cannot be viewed anymore. But even when I could view it there didn't appear to be a download option.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @RobThrive ,

It;s not able to download the report via publish to web, you can only view it in the explorer. 

If you'd like to get the pbix to recreate new report, i'd like to suggest using share, once the report shared to you, you can get it from "Share with me", then click "View related",use the dataset to create new report. 

3.PNG4.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@RobThrive It is likely published from his workspace, or could be a workspace you aren't a part of. You can find everything using the admin API's, and could fire off a request via Postman. (I've done this, I should just write up a blog on the how-to).. An easier way may be the Office 365 audit logs, but I don't know if it would show up there off the top of my head.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks @Seth_C_Bauer But I'm not sure how Postman helps (not ever used it before) can it download a bpix file or show me the url to get it?

I can see people have used postman to find the embed code but I'm not needing to embed the report anywhere. I can see the report listed in the Admin --> Embed Codes sections of powerbi.com, but it doesn't provide me the option to download the file.

The author of the report hasn't left a local/developers copy of the bpix file anywhere and now the report needs changing.

You are right, the file was saved in his own workspace it appears.

@RobThrive My suggestion was to use this method to find specifically where that object lives. If you are fairly confident that it exists in the persons workspace, then might i suggest that you have your IT department change the password of the users account, activate it, and you can log in to Power BI with those credentials and download any PBIX files from his workspace, remove anything shared, and re-publish to a shared workspace. Then they can deactivate his account again.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @RobThrive ,

It;s not able to download the report via publish to web, you can only view it in the explorer. 

If you'd like to get the pbix to recreate new report, i'd like to suggest using share, once the report shared to you, you can get it from "Share with me", then click "View related",use the dataset to create new report. 

3.PNG4.PNG

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors