Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Pikachu-Power
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Dont see with whom i share

hello all,

when i share a report in a workspace (simple sharing, not via app) i dont see with whom i share. when i go to manage permissions i just see the link and the information that i share this file. I remember it wasnt like that before.

Is there is a possibility to find this out? 🤔

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Pikachu-Power 

Two good questions.

1) "Specific people"  allows you to track who you shared with. "Allow recipients to share this report" controls sharing in the Power BI Service and does not stop them forwarding the email they received. If they forward the email, the "People in you organization" share can be opened by others, whilst the "Specific people" share can only be opened by those specified.

2) Your guess here is as good as mine. I see it as being able to send a "reminder" to people I have shared with earlier when I update the Report.

Hope this helps

Stuart 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Pikachu-Power
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Thanks!

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

HI @Pikachu-Power 

The Sharing dialog was changed a few months back in Power BI. The default now is to share a link with "people in your organization". This generates a sharing link which is emailed to those you want to have access. The Report shared then doesn't turn up in their "Shared with me" folder until they click on the email link. Note that the recipient can forward this email to another and they will have access to the Report. You cannot see who you shared with by this method, only that you created a link with is available.

An alternative is to select to share with "Specific people". This generates an email as above, but this is only active for the named user and not transferable. Then from "Manage Permissions" on the report you can see who you shared with (click the gear wheel on the share link).

Burningsuit_0-1636650186009.png

If you want ultimate control over sharing on the sharing dialog click the "more" option at the top (three dots) and select "manage permissions" then you will see any links you have shared, and be able to click the "+" on direct access. That will return you to the "old" sharing dialog, where you can give access without sending an email and see who has access.

Burningsuit_1-1636650447848.png

Hope this helps

Stuart

hello burningsuit,

thank you for the detailed reply. That answer my question. I have to more questions:

1) You say the email with "Specific people" is not transferable. But what means option "Allow recipients to share this report" at the link settings? I unterstand that the Specific people can share this report with other people without i noticing?

2) There is also a third sharing option "People with existing access". That is not very clear for me. Why should i send an URL to people who already have accesss?

greets.

Hi @Pikachu-Power 

Two good questions.

1) "Specific people"  allows you to track who you shared with. "Allow recipients to share this report" controls sharing in the Power BI Service and does not stop them forwarding the email they received. If they forward the email, the "People in you organization" share can be opened by others, whilst the "Specific people" share can only be opened by those specified.

2) Your guess here is as good as mine. I see it as being able to send a "reminder" to people I have shared with earlier when I update the Report.

Hope this helps

Stuart 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors