Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Don't let the end user explore the underlying data

Hi, 

I am wondering if it is possible to restrict a report so that the end user (report reader) won't have any way of exploring the underlying data?

I mean, so that only the visualizations which I choose are available to the end user, with only the columns/measures which I choose and only at the granularity (aggregation) which I choose.

In this case, every feature like "show as a table", "show data point as a table", etc. should not be available to the end user. Because that may allow the user to view other columns and other granularities than I chose.

I want to allow the end user interacting with the visualizations (using the slicers I added to the report, and cross-filtering), however I want to control which columns and what granularity is available to the end user. I only want to give the end user access to the report as I make it, and not to other columns or other levels of detail than how I design the report.

Is it possible, or do I need to remove the columns from the semantic model and pre-aggregate the data in the semantic model?

Do I need to assume that the end user can explore all the data in the semantic model, also the data which I am not showing in the visuals? (Assume I am not using RLS or OLS in this case)

Assume I am distributing the report in app and the end user only has viewer permission on the app.

Thank you 😀

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I think this blog post answered my question, and it seems I should assume that any data in the semantic model could be discovered by the end user (unless restricted by RLS or OLS):

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2021/11/07/is-power-bis-show-data-point-as-a-table-feature-a-security-h...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

It's also stated here:

"When you share a report or dashboard, the people you share it with can view it and interact with it, but can't edit it. The recipients see the same data that you see in the reports and dashboards. They also get access to the entire underlying semantic model, unless row-level security (RLS) is applied to it. The coworkers you share with can reshare with their coworkers if you allow them to."

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards

frithjof_v
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I think this blog post answered my question, and it seems I should assume that any data in the semantic model could be discovered by the end user (unless restricted by RLS or OLS):

https://blog.crossjoin.co.uk/2021/11/07/is-power-bis-show-data-point-as-a-table-feature-a-security-h...

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @frithjof_v 

You can do this by going into the report settings by clicking on the three dots and selecting settings

GilbertQ_0-1711404245073.png

Then scroll down to the export data settings and use the setting which works best for your requirement (which based on your question would be "summarized data and data in current layout"

GilbertQ_1-1711404284360.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors