Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does sharing access to dashboard give access to underlying reports power bi ?

Hi All,

I shared a dashboard which have 2 tiles and those are attached to 2 reports. My issue is if I share only the Dashboard without sharing the reports then my tiles become inactive and navigation to the reports is not working. This case i can see only the Dashboard but not reports in the Shared with me tab

If I share dashboard along with the reports then the Dashboard tile are active and report navigation is working fine. This case I can see both Dashboard and reports in the Shared with me tab

Now my requirement is to show only Dashboard in the Share with me tab and the navigation to reports should work fine. 

In my case I feel the reports are not inheriting the access whenever I provide the Dashboard access. 

Could some body suggest a solution here on how to Share Dashboard which should navigate to reports . 

I have tried the workaround by assigning the report URL to the Dashboard tile ..but in this case the report in opening in a new window every time.

Dashboard.png

Thanks & Regards,

Rajeev

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

By my tests, if I share only the Dashboard without sharing the reports, but my tiles could navigation to the reports.

Untitled.png

Please check my test flow if I misunderstand your scenario.

1. Create an old/new app workspace.

2. Get data and create two reports, then pin the tiles in each report to the new dashboard.

3.Share the dashboard to another account B.

4.Login in account B and go to Shared with me, we can see the Shared dashboard without the related reports.

5.Open the Shared dashboard and Click one of the tile, it will navigate to the related report.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

Thanks for your reply.

Are you using  Excel or Analysis service cube as Data source ?  I am working with Analysis service cube.

I am using Premium worksapce and all my users are having power bi free license.  I have tried your steps and found the issue is happening only to few users . For few users i have shared the Dashboard and its navigating to the reports well..but for few users it not working. So to make it work i am sharing the reprots as well.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajeev

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

My issue is not yet resolved while using Azure analysis service cube as data source

Thanks & Regards,

Rajeev Bikkani

Hi @Anonymous,

I have tested with Sample file of Power BI and excel file.

I also have made a test with Premium capacity, everything works as expected.

Please have a test if you still have this problem with the simple data source such as excel file.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors