Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Maggi029
Helper II
Helper II

Does ODBC driver supports incremental refresh?

Hi 

I have planning to use ODBC driver as connector between elastic search(my database) and power bi.I have few question needs to be clarify before proceeding since, elastic search Odbc driver needs some license, so i need to decide whether Odbc driver is really suitable for my case.

1. I need to visualize the historic data in power bi which means dataset will grown every week, does ODBC really supports incremental refresh.

2. Do I need to on premise gateway in personal mode needs to be install to use ODBC.

3. Is any other better way to import data and data refreshing between power bi and elastic search?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Maggi029 ,

The issue is not so much the type of connection that you are using - it is based on the gateway and the setup. The first item I would be concerned about is the gateway type - a personal gateway may not be the right answer.  A standard/corporate gateway is often installed on a device (like a server) that is reliably on/functioning.  If you have a lot of data to move (as incremental refresh would indicate that you need, then you should strongly consider a standard gateway).

As for incremental refresh itself, that is dependent on the setup and upon using a key datefield.  THis article here covers it in detail:  Incremental refresh for datasets in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I do not believe that there are any issues with the data connection being ODBC as to it working or not with incremental refresh.

Finally, not knowing all the reasons for the report and what you are trying to do, the ability to import data, incrementally, at scheduled refresh times seems to be the best method to me!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Maggi029 ,

The issue is not so much the type of connection that you are using - it is based on the gateway and the setup. The first item I would be concerned about is the gateway type - a personal gateway may not be the right answer.  A standard/corporate gateway is often installed on a device (like a server) that is reliably on/functioning.  If you have a lot of data to move (as incremental refresh would indicate that you need, then you should strongly consider a standard gateway).

As for incremental refresh itself, that is dependent on the setup and upon using a key datefield.  THis article here covers it in detail:  Incremental refresh for datasets in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

I do not believe that there are any issues with the data connection being ODBC as to it working or not with incremental refresh.

Finally, not knowing all the reasons for the report and what you are trying to do, the ability to import data, incrementally, at scheduled refresh times seems to be the best method to me!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors