Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

hstewart
Frequent Visitor

Do I have to pay for Azure Premium in order to give my client access to a Power BI report?

Do I have to pay beyond the Power BI premium license to allow my client "guest" access to a report in the service tenant?  I was told that I might need to pay for Azure Premium.  Is there a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hstewart ,

If you want to share your report with external user, please refer below requirements:

1. External user should be the guest user in your tenant, there are two ways: ad hoc invites and planned invites

Note: Pro Trial users can't invite guest users in Power BI.

2. License requirements:

• Workspace is hosted in Premium Capacity(P Sku)
  • You assign Pro or PPU license to the guest user
  • Guest users have their own pro or ppu license.

For more details, you can read related document: Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hstewart ,

If you want to share your report with external user, please refer below requirements:

1. External user should be the guest user in your tenant, there are two ways: ad hoc invites and planned invites

Note: Pro Trial users can't invite guest users in Power BI.

2. License requirements:

• Workspace is hosted in Premium Capacity(P Sku)
  • You assign Pro or PPU license to the guest user
  • Guest users have their own pro or ppu license.

For more details, you can read related document: Distribute content to external guest users with Azure AD B2B - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

p_da
Regular Visitor

Hi @hstewart,

Please have a look here. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/enterprise/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b
Before sharing the report, you will need to create an account for your guest user in azure, then, the user will be able to access the content you shared. To see a report is not needed to have a powerbi pro/premium. Just free is enough.

hope it help you!

hstewart
Frequent Visitor

Now the user is getting the "Your organization requires additional security information. Follow the prompts to download and set up the Microsoft Authenticator app."  What do I have to do to keep this from happening?

hstewart
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I have already tried sharing it with them.  They got the "Selected user account does not exist in tenant."  Microsoft help guy told me I would have to set up a paid Azure Active Directory account before I could assign the role of Report Reader.  

Okay, try this:

If you are getting the error message "Selected user account does not exist in tenant", then it means that the email address that you entered does not exist in your organization's tenant. In this case, you need to create a new user account for the guest user in your organization's tenant.

To create a new user account in your organization's tenant, you need to have administrator privileges. You can follow these steps to create a new user account:

1. Go to the Azure Active Directory admin center.
  2. Click on the Users tab.
  3. Click on the New user button.
  4. Enter the name and email address of the new user.
  5. Select the role that you want to assign to the new user.
  6. Click on the Create button.

Once the new user account has been created, you can share the Power BI report with the user by following the steps above.

Covenant-bi
Helper I
Helper I

No you wont need to do that. Have you already tried sharing it with them? Here are some steps to do that:

1. Go to the Power BI service.
  2. Sign in with your account.
  3. Click on the Workspaces tab.
  4. Select the workspace that contains the report that you want to share.
  5. Click on the Reports tab.
  6. Select the report that you want to share.
  7. Click on the Share button.
  8. In the Share dialog box, select the Guest option.
  9. Enter the email address of your client.
  10. Select the permissions that you want to give to your client.
  11. Click Share.

Your client will receive an email with a link to the shared report. They can click on the link to view the report.

Covenant-bi
Helper I
Helper I

No, you do not need to pay for Azure Premium in order to give your client access to a Power BI report. However, there are a few requirements that you need to meet.

You need to have a Power BI Pro license. This license allows you to publish reports to Power BI Premium capacity.

Your client needs to have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User license. These licenses allow them to view reports that are published to Power BI Premium capacity.

If your client does not have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User license, you can give them a one-time link to view the report. This link will expire after a certain amount of time.

You can also embed the report in a web page or app. In this case, your client will not need a Power BI license to view the report. However, you will need to pay for Azure Premium capacity to embed the report.

Are you saying that I should have a Power BI Pro license in addition to my Power BI Premium Per User license? My client has the premium license as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors