Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mmace1
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Do Dataflow entities refresh in Series or in Parallel?

Hi, 

If you have > 1 entity within a Dataflow, when the dataflow refreshes:

• do the entities refresh at the same time (i.e. in parallel)
  • or one at a time (i.e. in a series?). 

And can the behavior, whatever it is, be modified? 

I see an older question ended with "Not known, check with the Azure Data Lake folks" as an answer but that was almost 2 yeras ago, so seems worth checking again. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mmace1 ,

Did you refer to the following link: Solved: Re: Data Flow refresh - parallel or separately - Microsoft Power BI Community

Sorry, there is no further improvement at the moment, but you can post your idea here. Hope to help you solve the problem as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

The dataflow refresh history allows you to see the execution times by table including start and end time. You can clearly see that tables are executed sequentially. I have not found any option which allows you to execute in parallel as you can with a dataset. Hopefully, this is something the Microsoft Power BI team will address. They are being "tight-lipped" which means they probably know about it but do not now how to address it.

Requested onDataflow nameDataflow refresh statusTable nameRefresh statusStart timeEnd timeDuration
10/13/2023 3:42Common DataflowCompletedCalendarCompleted10/13/2023 3:42:0210/13/2023 3:42:3300:31.1
10/13/2023 3:42Common DataflowCompletedCustomerCompleted10/13/2023 3:42:3310/13/2023 3:43:0400:30.5
10/13/2023 3:43Common DataflowCompletedItemCompleted10/13/2023 3:43:0410/13/2023 3:43:3500:30.6

I have added this as a topic of consideration. You can vote for this enhancement here.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hey @mmace1 ,

That is an interesting question.  I don't think it is outlined yet exactly how that works.  However, I found this Chris Webb article where he talks about the SQL Server Profiler and some hints at how this might work.  It may be that you could ask him directly if he knows for the Dataflow?

Chris Webb's BI Blog: Power BI, Caching, Parallelism And Power Query Refresh Performance Chris Webb'...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors